• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movie quotes- broken record or inspiring

Laurel

First Post
There are lots of movie quotes that become larger then the movie itself, and you can hear people quoting the phrase without having seen the movie.
It seems in American pop culture those quotes often gain common everyday usage with thier own understood meaning. I can only think it also happens in other places as well.....?
Two that I hear a lot are the "I'll be back" and "Here's lookin' at you kid."

What quotes have either bothered you or inspired you from movies?

KnowTheToe

First Post
Broken Record. The occasional quote is fine and can enhance a story, conversation or game, but I find those that do it, quote movies all the friggin time and it drives me nuts.

D+1

First Post
"Go ahead. Make my day." I got really tired of hearing that one after a while. The fact is, however, that in America popular movies, TV shows, commercials, etc. are effectively shared experiences. They are a common element across the culture and those phrases easily enter our lexicon as a shorthand reference. Now, when someone says in that Clint Eastwood voice, "Make my day," you either get a mental picture of Dirty Harry intimidating yet another crook or the context of intimidation is generally understood.

Gamers tend to take that to an even greater level. We tend to have a LOT more of those movie moments in common, we LOOK for those catchphrases, we are more willing to use them, and there can be more specific incidents being evoked by the use of a movie quote which means we can often infer a lot more with a lot less words. It IS possible to take it too far though. Just as someone who CONSTANTLY peppers thier speech with, "you know?" can drive you nuts, people who use movie quotes as a complete replacement for original speech/communication are highly annoying.

Crothian

First Post
THey are great when used right, but few people can. THey need to be used seldom and when appropriate. Its really people that over use them, and they only use a few different ones from the same sorts of movies over and over and over that make them no fun

Filby

First Post
I'd say it can go either way. Like the others said, it's all about timing. If you go around saying "Hasta la vista, baby" day in and day out, it gets old fast, but an "I... am your father" at the right moment is gold, Jerry, gold.

Personally I don't spout movie lines too often, and when I do it's usually John Hughes. "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it" is a favorite of mine, but I'm still trying to find a way to work "I can't believe I gave my panties to a geek" into a conversation.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Generally broken record. But for some reason, I give a pass to "I've got a bad feeling about this!" which has been used by several of my gaming groups over the years. Maybe it's because when they say that it just lets me know I'm doing my job ;)

Remove ads