Movie Songs: worse than the movie, better than the movie, carried the movie, senseless without?

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I'm gonna go in another direction for a minute. The Madonna song "Die Another Day" sounds like a cacophonic mess - until you watch the opening credits to the movie Die Another Day, which goes with the song. Then, and only then, will its seemingly random starts and stops make sense.

Referring back to the title of this thread -- I think the above quote indicates that Madonna's song could be viewed as being somewhat "senseless" without the context of the movie.

So there's (finally!) one example for that category of song in this thread.

Kaodi

Hero
I do think it applies to television equally. Would Batman: The Animated Series have been as good without the music? I think not.

Edit: Also might be an interesting question as to whether Power Rangers would have been as popular without the catchy theme songs.

MarkB

Legend
It certainly applies to some of the iconic 80s shows - the distinctive music of shows like Airwolf and Knight Rider was definitely a significant part of their appeal.

Even now, 30 years later (man, that's a depressing figure), hearing those themes evokes a nostalgic thrill - a fact that is apparently not lost on TV advert makers.

Someone mentioned Conan the Barbarian earlier. Without a doubt, Basil Poledouris's incredible score enhanced this movie, making an OK movie into something that was almost great (IMO).

The Crow movie would not have been as powerful without Graeme Revell's emotional score (the final scene with his second death...no words to describe the beauty of that scene). The soundtrack itself, with such greats as STP, The Cure, and My Life with the Thrill Kill Cult...once again, spot on.

mr_outsidevoice

First Post
For the "What is this doing here?" category.
The movie legend had a song associated with it. there was a music video on MTV and everything.
"Is Your Love Strong Enough?"by Bryan Ferry. This song did not appear during the film.
Tangerine Dream handled the score. The song only showed up in the closing credits.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Kiner's work on "The Clone Wars" is indeed great, and something I use at almost every Star Wars RPG game I run. I wish they would release some of the material from the show as well, to expand the available cues.

But I have to disagree with you about his doing more than JW in the prequels, if only for one thing: "Duel of the Fates".

There is a release of Clone Wars Seasons 1-6. If nothing else, you can buy a download from Amazon.
To me, "Duel of the Fates" was like a hammer to the face--unsubtle attempt to impress me with a music cue because the action was devoid of emotion (kinda like an M Night Shama... whatever movie plot "twist"). Compared to the duel between Luke & Vader in RotJ, DotF was weak-sauce (just like the fight choreography).

Remove ads