• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movies based on books...HELP

Lady Starhawk

First Post
I need suggestions for movies based on books. I am joining a book club that's a little different.
The MISFITS Read The Book/See The Movie Club is designed for people who wish to stretch their critical thinking muscles. We will be reading the source material for movies, or the novelizations of movies, and then watching the films together.
I am going for my first meeting this week <Interview with the vampire> and I got an e-mail that they will be deciding what to do for the next year at the meeting this week.

I need suggestions, something to mention at the meeting tomorrow (Friday).

PLEASE help me, I don't want to look like an idiot in front of these people.
Lady Starhawk

NOTE:
Here's a link to the list of movies/books already done
www.misfit.org/bookmovie/bookmoviehistory.htm

Droogie

Explorer
Minority Report. Gone with the Wind. A Farewell to Arms. Grapes of Wrath. To Kill a Mockingbird. Of Mice and Men. Almost all Steven King movies. All the Hanibal Lector movies. Harry Potter. Jurrassic Park. Interview with a Vampire. Romeo and Juliet(modern version with Leo DiCaprio). One Flew Over The CooCoo's Nest. There are tons tons tons!

I would suggest picking films that deviate considerably from the book. It would be worth a juicier discussion.

Corinth

First Post
Lady Starhawk said:
PLEASE help me, I don't want to look like an idiot in front of these people.
These are the folks who run CONvergence. As a group, they have no shame. You can't look like an idiot in front of them; they won't let you.:)

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Lady Starhawk said:

The MISFITS Read The Book/See The Movie Club is designed for people who wish to stretch their critical thinking muscles. We will be reading the source material for movies, or the novelizations of movies, and then watching the films together.

Wow, a whole gathering of people that annoy me.

Movies and books are different art forms- and should not be compared in a critical manner- each form does things the other is not capable of doing well if at all.

Oh well, sorry for the rant.

FD

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Re: Re: Movies based on books...HELP

Furn_Darkside said:
Movies and books are different art forms- and should not be compared in a critical manner- each form does things the other is not capable of doing well if at all.

It is quite possible to take this into account in a discussion, you know. One can actually learn something about both forms through such comparison. Despite our cynical presuppositins, a great many people are capable of putting a little thought into things.

Don't dismiss the content of a discussion that hasn't even happened yet.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Movies based on books...HELP

Umbran said:
Don't dismiss the content of a discussion that hasn't even happened yet.

Salutations,

I have suffered the storm of many such discussions.

It is a shame I don't care for umbrellas.

But.. I will add to your list:

Richard Matheson-
Incredible Shrinking Man (book and story title the same)
Duel (ditto- directed by Spielburg, iirc)
What Dreams May Come (book and story title the same)

Robert Bloch-
Psycho (movie and story title the same)

All of these came out in written form first - if that matters.

FD

KChagga

First Post
Here is another story by Richard Matheson
I Am Legend ---- into Omega Man with Charlton Heston

Do Robots Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick(I think?)
made into the awesome movie Blade Runner

Both Total Recall and the Running Man were both from short stories. Sorry I can't recall authors or books right now.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
KChagga said:
Here is another story by Richard Matheson
I Am Legend ---- into Omega Man with Charlton Heston

Do Robots Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick(I think?)
made into the awesome movie Blade Runner

Both Total Recall and the Running Man were both from short stories. Sorry I can't recall authors or books right now.

I am Legend also spawned: The Last Man on Earth starring Vincent Price

Running Man was based off a short story by Stephen King, iirc.

FD

Remove ads