• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movies that made an impression on me

Chaldfont said:
Little Big Man... I love that movie.

How about:

The Game: This movie had me doubting my second-guessing of what I thought might be the ending. Is it a con job? Or is it really what he paid for? What would role-playing be like if you had an unlimited budget? This is the first movie where I wished I had some kind of memory eraser so I could watch it for the first time over and over again.

Dune: First time I learned that just because its an awesome book doesn't mean it will be an awesome (or even watchable) movie.

The Game stretched credulity, but it was skillful in that it kept me wondering what was REALLY going on until the very end. That made it well worth the time.

I assume you're referring to the 1984 David Lynch effort when you say Dune? To me, that was a perfect example of a universe that was too big for a single film. I knew it was problematic when they handed out a glossary before the film. :)

The Fifth Element is an example of a Lynch-like style of film that succeeded largely because the story was extremely simple. I think it really may be the only way to make a quirky film like that work.

True Lies: The best spy spoof film out there. It took itself just seriously enough to highlight the humor, and the chemistry between Arnie and Jamie Lee was great.

Galaxy Quest: The best send-up of science fiction fans I've seen. From Tony Shalhoub's low-key performance to the spastic Sam Rockwell, it was a great show, but the true fun is in Justin Long's character trying to convince himself that he KNOWS it's just a TV show...

Glory: The lesson of this film was that the protagonists do not always win. It ranks up there with The Mission as one of the most depressing good films I've seen.

CrusaderX

First Post
Seeing Star Wars (aka A New Hope) in the theater in 1977 at the very impressionable age of six (almost seven). That movie, in that year, at that age, was absolute moviegoing perfection.

Digital M@

Explorer
Stand By ME - The events don't directly reflect my childhood but close, the film, like the book really captures what it is like to be a boy around the age of 12. A film I could watch 100 times

Shawshank Redemption - Some of the best characterization ever put to film

Mallus said:
I agree that Fight Club is a terrific film. Slick popcorn nihilism. But its important to keep in mind that the narrators' anti-materialist/anti-consumeristic alter-ego dressed in Versace,

Irony!

Mallus said:
the film itself often looks like a series of the world's best commercials,

More irony! And probably the filmmaker's intention, too.

Mallus said:
and its ending suggests you can live happily ever after with a sexy woman only after shooting yourself in the head.

Well that's awfully glib. What I took from the ending was: Narrator could not move forward with his life without ridding himself of Tyler. He could not rid himself of Tyler without letting go of his fears and anxieties (which Tyler was a reaction to). He accomplished this with the threat of suicide, killing Tyler by symbolically killing himself. That was the only way he could take control of his life back and assert who was real.

Mallus said:
I always took it to be about the inevitable triumph of chic pre-packaged materialism. With the only escape possible being through an ever-escalating amount of self-inflicted violence.

Uh, okay. Look dude, this is the Internet. Try to keep your answers limited to "IT SUXXXXORZ" or "pWNED!!!!11!!". And if you can somehow work "George Lucas raped my childhood" into it, your words will carry even more weight.

:lol:

Templetroll

Explorer
DreadPirateMurphy said:
Arsenic and Old Lace: Probably the first dark comedy I ever saw. There was some cognitive dissonance when I first saw it as a child.

My daughter saw this last year, her first comment as it started was, "Where's the color? This movie isn't in color?" Afterwards, she really liked it. It gave her the idea that a movie in B&W can be entertaining. She also now likes Cary Grant.

A long time ago our gaming group had a non-game get-together where we all brought food and a movie. None of the group had seen "Arsenic and Old Lace" and one of our friends was a Cary Grant fan, but had only ever seen the leading man type of roles he did. It was a blast and the best movie we watched that night.

Kesh

First Post
Hm. I don't know how coherent my choices are, but here goes:

Star Wars - Nothing beats the fact that this is one of my earliest childhood memories. I mean, I had to have been maybe all of 3 years old at the time. The Star Destroyer coming overhead scared me to death, and I had to make my aunt take me outside... where I sat at the theater doors, watching Stormtroopers blasting away until the usher told us we had to go back in & close the doors or leave.

I went back in. And I'm so glad I did. :cool:

The Fox and The Hound - Yes, an honest-to-goodness classic Disney flick. Again, I saw this when I was young, and I missed some of the anti-racism message of the film... but I got the idea of what it means to be an outcast, and what friendship really is.

The Howling - This was my first real introduction to horror films. I was a Cub Scout (junior version of the Boy Scouts, for those who don't know), and we were having a sleepover at the meeting house. The older boys put this on after dark and I was scared witless. I remember peeking out of my sleeping bag, then hiding in it when the really nasty bits happened (and the older guys joking about it, of course!). I've still got a soft spot for werewolves now, and the film still holds up despite all the years. Again, the idea of being outcast or denying who you are hits a strong note for me, but the overall horror still holds true throughout.

Hellraiser - I picked up this film as a rental, because A) I had heard good things about Clive Barker and B) some friends wanted to go see the latest release in the series later that week. I'd never seen such a smart horror movie before. The little metaphysical concepts, the way different concepts tie together (blood, family, death, debts...), it all just meshed so beautifully with the terrible idea of beings who simply aren't human in their thinking about pleasure and torture.

Lord of Illusions - Another Barker film, I really consider this his masterpiece of film. Even moreso than Hellraiser, he blends so many metaphysical concepts with very human emotional & psychological ideas, while still giving us an action packed and exciting story. I was saddened that his idea of turning it into a series didn't pan out with the studios.

Bram Stoker's Dracula - I had grown up seeing the old classic movie monsters on TV, and had read the original novel so many times I knew the pace of the story by heart. But, until this film, I had never seen any classic novel translated so closely to film. Yes, it took liberties... but this was the first time the overall story had carried over into the film without judicious changes. In addition, the beautiful sets, use of color and makeup, together with the costume & set design, showed me that it was possible to take a classic novel and turn it into an entertaining film without hacking it to bits.

Nosferatu - When I began taking German in college, I found a growing interest in the classics of German silent cinema. The early Expressionist films produced by Germans after WWI were a stark difference from the movies coming out of America and France at the time, echoing the devastation wrought on the country after the war. And this film really showcases the innovations those early directors invented. While its certainly a rip-off of the Dracula novel, it also blends some distinctly German concepts of vampires into the mix, and placed a lasting "look" for monstrous vampires into our culture. Plus, some of the camera effects were incredibly advanced for the time, outpacing the developments in the rest of the film industry by decades.

Se7en - Okay, so horror movies really speak to me. And this... this was sheer brilliance. It not only brought a well-known concept in murder mysteries (seven deadly sins killer) to its logical extreme, the plot managed to keep twisting and turning until the climax where everything finally comes to an incredibly powerful end. Plus, it did something most horror films forget: it made us care about the characters, so that when something bad happens, it actually has meaning.

Ghost in the Shell - Yes, my introduction to anime. Though some of the American voice-acting was poor (and they screwed up the CGI bits for our release), I was amazed by the quality of the animation, the complexity of the story and the sheer fact that this was unlike any other animation I had ever seen before. It was bloody, racy, evocative, beautiful and really managed to evoke a feeling of being involved in the setting.

Perfect Blue - As much as GitS impressed me with what animation could do, this film impressed upon me what live-action films can't do. Many of the scenes would have been impossible (or at least prohibatively expensive) to film with actors. And they simply would not have looked right with actors. Its a film that's so deeply involved with the mind and imagination that only animation could really capture the depth of the hallucinations experienced by the protagonist as the story progresses.

Unbreakable - While I saw the ending of The Sixth Sense coming just by watching the trailers, this film's ending hit me as a complete surprise. Shyamalan did a brilliant job of telling a story while completely misdirecting the audience, which lead me to dismiss my assumption about the ending... until the last scene where it turns out to be true. And it was done so beautifully, I felt it was the natural conclusion of the story, rather than a cheap fake-out.

The Blair Witch Project - The film really broke a lot of ground in many ways, some of which have nothing to do with the movie itself. This movie showed just how important the Internet could be in hyping up an audience & getting the word out. It showed just how easily one could create a movie that was both cheap and still entertaining (while riding the coattails of the emerging "reality TV" concept). Finally, it did one thing that turned it from a mediocre docu-horror into a full-fledge supernatural scare: they took one casual mention from the first 15 minutes of the film, and turned it into the pivotal moment of the climax, tying the whole thing neatly together in a single moment.

This film was one of only a few that left me too scared to sleep that night, all because of that ending moment. n.n;;

Last edited:

CarlZog

Explorer
So many. Here's a few that come immediately to mind:

Bladerunner: The style, the tone, the pacing, the imagery -- it all took my breath away. I've seen it dozens of times, and I'm still completely immersed in it every time I watch it.

Captain Blood: I first saw this when I was a real little kid, and it fueled my love of ships, the sea and all things swashbuckling. Who didn't want to be Errol Flynn?

The Usual Suspects: I think I watched this two or three times just absorbing the details. This is one of the few movies that ever kept me totally guessing right to the end. Great story.

Philadelphia Story: The quintessential high society comedy. Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn are at their finest in this.

Captain Ron: A silly, largely forgotten comedy with Kurt Russell and Martin Short. But if you work in the boat business, EVERYBODY knows and quotes Captain Ron. I can spout off most of it word-for-word.

Planet of the Apes(original): You already knew the truth before the ending -- or at least suspected -- but the power of the crumbled statue brought it home in a way nothing else could.

St. Elmo's Fire: Yes, the classic bratpack flick! I was finishing college and facing the real world, when this movie came out and I empathized a lot with the characters. I was also swept up with the camraderie of the group, which bore a striking resemblance to my own group of friends at the time.

The Highlander: What a great romp, with a beautiful ending. The tragedy and the comedy of immortality. It was a shame they couldn't leave it well enough alone.

Carl

Rackhir

Explorer
Kesh said:
Lord of Illusions - Another Barker film, I really consider this his masterpiece of film. Even moreso than Hellraiser, he blends so many metaphysical concepts with very human emotional & psychological ideas, while still giving us an action packed and exciting story. I was saddened that his idea of turning it into a series didn't pan out with the studios.

Did you read the short story that this was based on by any chance? I was extremely disapointed with what they did to it in this movie. There were some great ideas that failed to make it into the movie entirely.

WingOver

First Post
Kung Fu Hustle - great martial arts comedy. Pays homage to Bruce Lee as some of the fight scenes near the end are choreographed identically to scenes from Enter the Dragon.

Sling Blade - not sure what it is about this film, but Billy Bob's performance and the bitter sweet ending stuck with me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads