• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movies that make you want to game...

Mallus

Legend
Big Trouble in Little China.

Flash Gordon.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou --at least it did the last time I caught in on TV!

Lancelot

Adventurer
The "Robin of Sherwood" TV series; British production, mid-80's.

Little heard of in the States, but surprisingly influential. Take Nasir, for example...

• First instance of a Saracen member of the "merry men" in any adaption (...Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves would rip off the idea some years later, and the Hollywood version of the character was weaksauce by comparison)
  • First instance, as far as I know, of a dual-scimitar-wielding ranger/assassin. Who is an outcast from his own people. Who try to track him down and kill him. And he's a stranger-in-a-strange-land, where he is deeply mistrusted for his race. Brownie points to anyone who can name a literary character modeled on Nasir who first appeared on the scene some five years later...
Every episode was a module just waiting to happen. 2-hour special episode with evil abbess using diabolic servants to recover seven artifact swords to summon the devil? Barbarian chieftain and his insane advisor force PCs to battle to the death in gladiatorial pit combat? Golems and druids?

It also helps that it's played absolutely straight. No Hercules/Xena cheesiness, and surprisingly good production values. Unafraid to kill off major characters, both good and evil. And, no offense to Alan Rickman (one of my favorite actors), but the series also featured the "best" Sheriff of Nottingham so far.

I remember watching that series, thought it was great.

The movies that get me in the mood for gaming are: 13th Warrior, LoTR, Legend (with Tom Cruise and Tim Curry), 300, The Brotherhood of the Wolf, Kingdom of Heaven, and Excalibur, to name a few.

Woas

First Post
I've only seen like a dozen movies in my life. So the only one I can actually remember that gets my gaming juices flowing is Last of the Mohicans.

weem

First Post
Well, there have been a few, most of which have been mentioned so I will stick with the last one -- that was the latest Star Trek movie...

...I came out of there wishing there was a 4e Sci Fi game... maybe in the future.

caudor

Adventurer
I fondly recall the Sinbad movies.

Someone already mentioned Flash Gordon. That movie still strikes a cord with me. The music, by Queen, really does the movie proud.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I fondly recall the Sinbad movies.

Someone already mentioned Flash Gordon. That movie still strikes a cord with me. The music, by Queen, really does the movie proud.

FLASH! AH-AH! SAVIOUR OF THE UNIVERSE!

It's obligatory, someone has to say it.

GORDON'S ALIVE?!?!

Help, now I'm channeling Brian Blessed!

WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER? DIIIIIIVE!

It's a wonderfully camp, brightly coloured sci-fi epic. Rich in detail, loads of different races, very villainous villains and good fun all round. Plus you get to save the Earth!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads