• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movies

Stormonu

Legend
The original D&D movie is still in people's minds, and I think it's going to be a good 20 years before that fiasco is forgotten.

I think moreso than a straight D&D movie, a successful D&D movie should be based on one of the campaign worlds, with "a D&D movie" as a subtitle. A movie about the Realms, Greyhawk, Dark Sun or somesuch will probably generate more interest.

Sadly, however, the recent Dragonlance cartoon was even worse. In the end, the D&D brand may be poisoned as movie-making material because of the three flops.

Dire Bare

Legend
Sadly, however, the recent Dragonlance cartoon was even worse. In the end, the D&D brand may be poisoned as movie-making material because of the three flops.

The three D&D movie flops are only poison to us obsessed fanboys on the internet. The general public has already forgotten about all three movies, if they ever saw them in the first place.

They're remaking Judge Dredd, Dune has seen multiple takes with yet another in production . . . . .

The right combination of money, rights, and somebody willing to take the helm is all we need for the next D&D film . . . . hopefully one that won't suck this time!

MrGrenadine

Explorer
I think moreso than a straight D&D movie, a successful D&D movie should be based on one of the campaign worlds, with "a D&D movie" as a subtitle. A movie about the Realms, Greyhawk, Dark Sun or somesuch will probably generate more interest.

I completely agree. And the less like the traditional LotR style, the better. Something dark and gritty, more Howard than Tolkien, set in Dark Sun or Eberron would be a terrific next move to both expand the brand and cash on on brand loyalty and nostalgia.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
After the Dragonlance movie I'm horrified at the thought of what they'd do to another setting. Next to it even the generic D&D movies look good.

delericho

Legend
The three D&D movie flops are only poison to us obsessed fanboys on the internet. The general public has already forgotten about all three movies, if they ever saw them in the first place.

Agreed.

That said, after the Lord of the Rings movies, we were led to expect a whole host of good fantasy movies, and it never really materialised. There were both fewer such movies than expected and the quality was very often questionable at best.

The right combination of money, rights, and somebody willing to take the helm is all we need for the next D&D film . . . . hopefully one that won't suck this time!

Who currently holds the rights to make a D&D movie? Does Courtney Solomon still have them?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

They'd also seem toxic to anyone who follows the biz itself- those movies had terrible RoIs, so unless someone could point at another reason within the base IP itself OR the existing inherent fanbase OR (most likely) a powerful industry "angel,"* another D&D TV/film project faces a steep uphill battle. Unless, of course, it's made for Sy-Fy or Chiller or some other similar cable network.

* in this context, an "angel" is someone with pull who uses his or her personal influence to get a project greenlighted.

Dire Bare

Legend
They'd also seem toxic to anyone who follows the biz itself- those movies had terrible RoIs, so unless someone could point at another reason within the base IP itself OR the existing inherent fanbase OR (most likely) a powerful industry "angel,"* another D&D TV/film project faces a steep uphill battle. Unless, of course, it's made for Sy-Fy or Chiller or some other similar cable network.

True, I'm sure. But I'd like to think that folks looking at how poorly those three films did would understand it was due to the terrible quality of the films, not the IP. Then again, some people in that town make an awful lot of bad films . . . probably without realizing . . .

MarkB

Legend
True, I'm sure. But I'd like to think that folks looking at how poorly those three films did would understand it was due to the terrible quality of the films, not the IP. Then again, some people in that town make an awful lot of bad films . . . probably without realizing . . .

Given the quality of most video-game movies, I have the feeling that what Hollywood looks for in these projects is something that'll sell well simply because of the brand name, even when it sucks. D&D has already proven not to be such a project.

Remove ads