• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Moving diagonally between enemies on a grid

thexar

Explorer
Do other people have an issue with this? This was initiated by a player. Two PCs were diagonally adjacent, and an enemy moved up and tried to pass between them. The player declared the creature couldn't pass them diagonally. I didn't mind the the idea (and didn't want to look it up), so I let is stick. And reinforced it the next time a PC tried the same move. Now that is counts against them the other players don't like it.

How do others feel about this?

The grid isn't real. It's an abstraction of the in-game reality, where two people are standing near each other and a third person wants to pass between them. If you rotated the grid by 45 degrees, it would be obvious that there's not enough space to freely move there.

Cyrinishad

Explorer
I'm going to throw a +1 to Hex Grids on this... The Square Grid has major issues... But Hex Grid has been tried and true for generations of gamers.

Bawylie

A very OK person
I don't care for that level of positional precision, except when declared.

If a player said, "I stand here to prevent anyone passing this area," then cool - that'll stand.

Otherwise I'm not counting squares, feet, inches, or whatever else.

-Brad

thethain

First Post
Remember that each space is a 5ft square and the person occupying it is most likely a 3foot wide or less person. (barring fighting gelatinous cubes)

Corners. Diagonal movement can’t cross the corner of a wall, large tree, or other terrain feature that fills its space.

Basically, the creatures aren't actually a solid unit, so they aren't blocking movement from diagonal.

Hex vs grid, grid gives more area for monsters to swarm one target (8v6), but also more avenues for escape.

Anakzar

First Post
Using grids tend to bog down the game... I like them to help me draw the room but allow people to stand figures anyplace and use theater of the mind for distances. The figures and map are just to help visualize the battle field (not to scale). Once you get people counting squares/hexes you have a very different and slower game.

cmad1977

Hero
If that's your rule make sure it applies to the heroes as well.
I use a grid but don't really pay attention to it. If a creature were to move through that space(and I were to allow it to do so) I would probably count that one space as squeezing and also allow attacks of opportunity from the two PCs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DM Howard

Explorer
I'd allow the move, but there would definitely be some attacks of opportunity going on, unless the players specifically said that they were actively attempting to block that avenue of movement.

Remove ads