• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Moving diagonally between enemies on a grid

Oofta

Legend
You can't go through an enemy's space, I would say that if two enemies are adjacent to each other you can't pass between them

So if "O"s are empty, M is the monster and A and B are the PCs

OMOO
OABO

M could not squeeze between A and B in my game.

OMBO
OAOO

I would rule that M still couldn't squeeze between A and B since A and B are adjacent.

But that's my ruling and nothing official - just make a decision and be consistent about it.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Do other people have an issue with this? This was initiated by a player. Two PCs were diagonally adjacent, and an enemy moved up and tried to pass between them. The player declared the creature couldn't pass them diagonally. I didn't mind the the idea (and didn't want to look it up), so I let is stick. And reinforced it the next time a PC tried the same move. Now that is counts against them the other players don't like it.

How do others feel about this?

I'd say it is fair enough to say that someone cannot pass between two diagonally adjacent enemies. Just think of it as if it is a straight line and rule that it would be moving through someone else's space which, barring size differences, can't be done.

Mercule

Adventurer
Hex grids just look so hideous if you are in a square room. all those 1/2 hex just magically unusable.
I despise hexes. They look horrible and create as many (or more) problems as they solve.

The only argument I ever hear in favor of hexes is that they're easier for diagonal movement. That makes some sense, if you're in an outdoor, battlefield environment where lateral movement isn't likely.

It's absurd in most dungeon scenarios (i.e. D&D). Square rooms, as you point out, are guaranteed to break hexes. Caverns and the like are no more likely to conform to hexes than to squares. True lateral movement happens fairly often. Entry directions frequently rotate 90 degrees. That means that, roughly half the time, you're in a situation where you can't actually walk forward in a straight line, which is far more annoying than problems with diagonal movement.

If grids really bother you, just pull out your tape measure. I've actually considered doing that, a couple times. Not because the diagonals bothered me, but because I got tired of the wizard dropping a fireball that missed the fighter by inches.

Satyrn

First Post
Do other people have an issue with this? This was initiated by a player. Two PCs were diagonally adjacent, and an enemy moved up and tried to pass between them. The player declared the creature couldn't pass them diagonally. I didn't mind the the idea (and didn't want to look it up), so I let is stick. And reinforced it the next time a PC tried the same move. Now that is counts against them the other players don't like it.

What your player argued for is how I have always handled it.

Mercule

Adventurer

I'd say that the group should decide on a table rule and stick to it.

I could see the argument, either way. From the hip, I'm inclined to say that movement between diagonal critters is totally permitted. This is based on thinking over the melees we've had, where the participants are fairly mobile and trying to maneuver in a relatively open space. But... if you have a diagonal hallway, two guards should be fine to hold it. So, if pressed, I'd say that the default is that movement is permitted, but that there should be a way to choke point. Maybe it's only allowed if both guards have open space on the other side of them and/or have other combatants splitting their attention.

Or, just say that it's typically allowed, but the DM will do his job as referee and dis-allow it when appropriate. That doesn't fly in every group, though.

Shiroiken

Legend
On a grid, it really depends on how you work your diagonals. If you use 1:5' (standard 4E & 5E rule), then it doesn't make sense to allow diagonal movement between hostile creatures. Each space = 5 feet and Pythagoras is a liar when he says otherwise. If you use 2:15' (standard 3E & variant 5E), then it doesn't make sense to prevent the movement, as the creatures don't occupy the full distance, and technically there is 7.5' between them instead of 5'. I would argue that such movement is equivalent to Squeezing and would require a check of some kind (probably Dex/Acrobatics vs. Wis/Insight).

As for Hexes, they are awesome if you use them right, but most people don't. When drawing on a hex, you don't draw from any of the 6 intersecting points. Instead you pick one of the non-orthogonal lines and start from the middle of one of them. This creates a split of the hex of about 20% and 80%, which makes it obvious which hexes are usable (anything over 50%). This takes a LOT of practice to get used to, so most people feel it's not worth it, even though it is. It solves almost all distance problems, especially AoE and diagonals. Hallways can feel weird, however, since you don't always line up side by side, which can allow for a slightly more protected character (can only be attacked by 1 enemy, as opposed to 2).

Final note: when using a grid, you should also draw from the middle of the square when drawing diagonals to keep the same effect. Otherwise you have a lot of unusable half-squares.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I despise hexes. They look horrible and create as many (or more) problems as they solve.

The only argument I ever hear in favor of hexes is that they're easier for diagonal movement. That makes some sense, if you're in an outdoor, battlefield environment where lateral movement isn't likely.

It's absurd in most dungeon scenarios (i.e. D&D). Square rooms, as you point out, are guaranteed to break hexes. Caverns and the like are no more likely to conform to hexes than to squares. True lateral movement happens fairly often. Entry directions frequently rotate 90 degrees. That means that, roughly half the time, you're in a situation where you can't actually walk forward in a straight line, which is far more annoying than problems with diagonal movement.

Much of what you state here is not quite true, especially if the DM allows "half-hex" and "two thirds hex" rules.

Having said that, offset squares is probably the best of both worlds, hex and squares. They are virtually identical to hexes, but they are squares. Hence, they often fit quite well in square or rectangular shaped rooms (although that isn't actually a real problem with hexes, but some players could get confused).

One other advantage of hexes, other than the partially diagonal movement one, is that of spells with a radius. Pick an intersection between 3 hexes and count out in all directions the radius of the effect. Squares are kind of wonky when it comes to Fireballs. This advantage also works in offset squares.

Brandegoris

First Post

I Must admit, that I am unsure how that works in 5th edition. After years of playing D&D with the same group we have house rules so its not always 5th edition RAW. :)
We usually fall back on the 3.5 rule ( or some version similar) Where if a person wants to make it through that square they have to make an Acrobatics test. if they do, they can get through, If not they stop one square short as they fail
Attacks of Opportunity MAY be appropriate as well ( Even on a made acrobatics role?). LOL

Lanliss

Explorer
On a grid, it really depends on how you work your diagonals. If you use 1:5' (standard 4E & 5E rule), then it doesn't make sense to allow diagonal movement between hostile creatures. Each space = 5 feet and Pythagoras is a liar when he says otherwise. If you use 2:15' (standard 3E & variant 5E), then it doesn't make sense to prevent the movement, as the creatures don't occupy the full distance, and technically there is 7.5' between them instead of 5'. I would argue that such movement is equivalent to Squeezing and would require a check of some kind (probably Dex/Acrobatics vs. Wis/Insight).

As for Hexes, they are awesome if you use them right, but most people don't. When drawing on a hex, you don't draw from any of the 6 intersecting points. Instead you pick one of the non-orthogonal lines and start from the middle of one of them. This creates a split of the hex of about 20% and 80%, which makes it obvious which hexes are usable (anything over 50%). This takes a LOT of practice to get used to, so most people feel it's not worth it, even though it is. It solves almost all distance problems, especially AoE and diagonals. Hallways can feel weird, however, since you don't always line up side by side, which can allow for a slightly more protected character (can only be attacked by 1 enemy, as opposed to 2).

Final note: when using a grid, you should also draw from the middle of the square when drawing diagonals to keep the same effect. Otherwise you have a lot of unusable half-squares.

I would be interested in a guide on using Hexes for a standard dungeon.

Remove ads