• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moving in threatened areas

Smurtis

First Post
The other day my group took on a red dragon. It had a melee 3 attack range. Let's say it landed, and i'm 6 squares away. If i moved 6 squares towards the dragon to be adjacent (to attack in melee), does the red dragon get to do an OA when i move from square 3 to square 4? (Being that i'm moving through his threated area)... Or does moving towards your opponent not trigger OAs?

Would charging make a difference?

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
The other day my group took on a red dragon. It had a melee 3 attack range. Let's say it landed, and i'm 6 squares away. If i moved 6 squares towards the dragon to be adjacent (to attack in melee), does the red dragon get to do an OA when i move from square 3 to square 4? (Being that i'm moving through his threated area)... Or does moving towards your opponent not trigger OAs?
A monster needs to have the trait "Threatening Reach" in order to get OAs against non-adjacent squares.

Would charging make a difference?
No.

mudlock

First Post
To be more specific: OAs are provoked only when exiting a threatened square (or when using a ranged or area power while in a threatened square).

So if a creature had Threatening Reach (3), you would not provoke an OA when moving from 4 squares away to 3 squares away (you are only ENTERING a threatened square, not exiting one). But, if you moved FROM 3 to 4 (or from 3 to 2, or from 3 to some other 3) then you would provoke an OA, and no, charging wouldn't change any of this. The only thing that matters is whether the square you are leaving is threatened.

But almost no creatures have threatening reach, and red dragons are not one of them; "reach 3" is NOT the same as "threatening reach 3." Without threatening reach, a creature only threatens adjacent squares, which means you only provoke OAs if you exit a square that is adjacent to them.

Remove ads