• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moving through squares occupied by non-combatants

Griego

First Post
The PHB is pretty specific about moving through squares occupied by friendly creatures (you can do so freely, except you can't charge) or opponents (you can't, unless the opponent is helpless or you overrun), but what about creatures or NPCs that are neutral to both sides? Also, what if a "friendly" unintelligent creature, like a (normal) horse is in the way? During our last session, one of the bad guys ran from the battle and stole one of the player's mounts, a light warhorse. The party caught up to him, leaving him with only one way to retreat without provoking attacks of opportunity--through some squares occupied by the other player's horses.

Anybody got any house rules to cover this type of situation, or is there a clarification somewhere I have overlooked? (We're playing strictly core rules right now, PHB+DMG+MM only.)

prospero63

First Post
Griego said:
The PHB is pretty specific about moving through squares occupied by friendly creatures (you can do so freely, except you can't charge) or opponents (you can't, unless the opponent is helpless or you overrun), but what about creatures or NPCs that are neutral to both sides? Also, what if a "friendly" unintelligent creature, like a (normal) horse is in the way? During our last session, one of the bad guys ran from the battle and stole one of the player's mounts, a light warhorse. The party caught up to him, leaving him with only one way to retreat without provoking attacks of opportunity--through some squares occupied by the other player's horses.

Anybody got any house rules to cover this type of situation, or is there a clarification somewhere I have overlooked? (We're playing strictly core rules right now, PHB+DMG+MM only.)

I'd rule that neutral creatures aren't opponents they are considered friendly for the purposes of movement.

In your scenario, barring the mounts having tricks for attacking, etc. I'd have let the guy move through them with no penalties, etc.

Griego said:
Anybody got any house rules to cover this type of situation, or is there a clarification somewhere I have overlooked?
Neither official clarification or formal house rule but I know how I'd handle it. It is a question of who is able to get out of the way of the moving character as cooperatively as possible. Someone who is not a "friend", is going to, at best, move unpredicatably if at all and so it isn't possible to move through their squares. I would probably make an exception for trained warhorses, but not for ordinary riding horses. Creatures that are animal intelligence or lower and not directly controlled by PC's would never be considered "friends" for this purpose.

On the other hand I take a certain pride in NOT being a RBDM (at least not all the time) and so I find it difficult to think of a situation in which I WOULDN'T just let the PC move through anyway (while of course noting that this would be a privilege that is revokable at any time in the future).

mvincent

Explorer
mvincent said:
Difficult terrain.
I just found this in the rules (if it helps):
"A creature can move through a space occupied by a paralyzed creature—ally or not. Each square occupied by a paralyzed creature, however, counts as 2 squares."

Viewing non-combatants similarly seems reasonable.

MarkB

Legend
I'd say it's the non-combatant's decision. If they decide to give way and let you through, you treat them as an ally for movement purposes. If they don't want to let you past, you treat them as an enemy for movement purposes.

mvincent

Explorer
MarkB said:
I'd say it's the non-combatant's decision. If they decide to give way and let you through, you treat them as an ally for movement purposes. If they don't want to let you past, you treat them as an enemy for movement purposes.
I believe this thread concerns creatures that desire neither.

Or, given the situation that the OP presented, are you saying that the DM should somehow 'get it straight from the house's mouth'?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads