• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moving to Charleston, SC

Talvisota

First Post
ENWorlders all,

After 5 years in Central Asia and 2 in Bloomington, Indiana getting an MBA, I am now moving to Charleston, SC to start work. Our second son is due in May, and we will be making the geographic shift as a family of four in early June.

I'd love to learn about gaming circles there if you have any advice to share! Good gaming shops, D&D groups, boardgame/wargame groups, etc. Other than a short-lived campaign in Kazakhstan and a few awesome one-shots with my old gaming friends during vacations, I have had no real 3.5 D&D exposure, just lots of longing.

Thanks in advance,

Torm

Explorer
There's a place on Northwoods Blvd called "Green Dragon" that has cards and roleplaying stuff, and new and used books. I used to like to go there whenever I was that way.

I was going to tell you about a Mongolian BBQ restaurant on Broad called, simply, "Mongolian BBQ", but their listing has disappeared from the online Yellow Pages, which may mean they shut down. :\

IamTheTest

First Post
I just went on vacation to Charlston. While I cannot tell you about gaming there, I can tell you it is an amazing place to live. Good Luck.

Treebore

First Post
I lived there for ten years, in fact I still own my home there. Green Dragon is the best gaming store in Charleston. Hobbytown West of the Ashley is OK, but GR has a "real" game store atmosphere.

Go to GR and ask around for a gaming group looking for a player. When I lived there, just over a year ago, it seemed that very few gamers in Charleston actually visited the messageboards at WOTC, ENWorld, etc...

Just be careful what group you do join. Group quality will vary. So try them out 2 or 3 times, assuming your initial contact goes well.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Treebore and Torm I think filled you in on the best info. A third recommend for the Dreen Dragon - Torm and I don't have too many places locally you can pick up a gaming supplement, a Tarot deck, and a melee weapon in the same shopping trip. :)

Beautiful place to be, besides anything else - but mind the downtown traffic, it's like running a maze with all the one-way streets!

Talvisota

First Post
I greatly appreciate all of your help. Once we get settled, I will certainly check out the places you recommeded. In fact, the Green Dragon looks like it is but 5 minutes from my new place of work.

Thanks!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads