• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E MPMB's D&D 5e Character Tools

@Noah Ivaldi: Thank you again for your scrutiny! It is a great help with so much text and code to write :)

Vestments: the problem here is that every religion is different. If your church has you wearing fine clothes than you should maybe change it to 6 lb, whereas if your faith has you wearing very little clothes, just bodypaint and feathers, it is again different. That's why I didn't go for fine clothing, but thought of the more neutral 'costume'. However, I feel that anybody making a cleric should specify it better then 'Vestments' unless you worship the god of vagueness ;)

Guild artisan/merchant thing: this was definitely part of the same bug.

Gladiator: I've removed it in v6.4, it was now bugging me as well.

Independent DCs: I feel like there's always a 'need' to be able to manually reset something.

Multiple weapons to auto-add: This is actually a lot harder to script than you'd think. I think I'll leave this out for now, mostly because then I would have to accommodate all the different ways you can write that you have multiples of something (x2, 3x, (2), (both hands), etc.). Also, this is only something needed for characters that have two identical weapons in each hand and have the two-weapon fighting fighting style. And on top of that it will only cause a problem the one time that character will add his weapons to the equipment section, so it really shouldn't come up that often.

Typo's and textual suggestions: I've changed all of that in v6.4, except for adding the bonus action/reaction for Misty Step and Hellish Rebuke (because I would have to write custom code just for those 2 abilities). I move text around a lot to make it fit the field, and then overlook the grammatical changes I have to make...

Destroy water: Just a total omission on my account, I just quickly glanced the Water Genasi text to look up the spell name and missed the first part of it :p

Second DC-calculating field: I have though of this before, but there's just no way of having this without it bringing unnecessary clutter. And, as you say, it would only be useful for some multiclassing characters.

Off-hand weapon with negative ability modifer: I had already noticed this bug and it will be fixed in v6.4, but thank you for sharing!

Finesse weapons: this is a good idea, I'll implement it in v6.4!

As for your explanation to Athinar (which is very thorough, so thank you for that), the +N can be any number from 1 up to 99

Trying to download Spell Sheet generator v1.7.zip and i get this error: The file is missing from the server.

This is in the download description:
Missing files
Some older files are still visible but are unavailable (i.e. "Character Sheet v2.2 (Letter).pdf", "Spell Sheet generator v1.7.zip", "Spell Sheet generator v3.5.zip", and "Thumbnail_enworld.jpg". This is an issue with enworld unfortunately.
I have tried to get the attention of the moderator about this issue, but he hasn't been able to fix the issue (or he hasn't tried to, I'm not sure).

I have uploaded a new version with a some minor changes, fixes, and faster code, look in the downloads section for v6.42

Version 6.42 has the following changelog:
- Fixed missing font error for the Letter version (thanks Headbomb for noticing)
- Made some code faster, especially adding equipment
- Small fixes to: bookmarks, tooltip texts and auto-filled texts (thanks to Noah Ivaldi)
- Fixed bug where “off-hand” or “secondary” weapons didn’t add their ability modifier to damage if the modifier was negative (thanks Noah Ivaldi for noticing)
- Added feature where “finesse” weapons switch to Str if it is higher than Dex (as suggested by Noah Ivaldi)
- Added Shillelagh as a weapon option
- Fixed bug where manually filled out weapons didn’t have the ability modifier added to damage
- Fixed bug where multiplication and quotation marks were displayed as gibberish

Last edited:

Noah Ivaldi

First Post
You're more than welcome! Thank you for working with others so well and compiling this all so thoroughly.

Vestments: That is completely agreeable. In the setting that my DM put me in, I pretty much just had to play a prototypical, fifth century Roman-Catholic priest, so I kinda' got stuck on that mentality, but, yes, D&D has variety, so each acolyte-player should consult his/her DM as to the details of the vestments of the chosen church.

Gladiator: Oh, sweet! All the better.

Multiple weapons to auto-add: Oh, really? I figured that it'd be easy! Shows what I know, haha!

Misty, Hellish Step of Rebuke: Go fig. I just assumed that it would be a simple splicing of the level conditional code with the same "add to fields" code that was used for skinwalkers' Shift, goliaths' Stone's Endurance, and similar stuff. It's a lot more complex, though? Well, hey, fair enough! No big deal.

Second DC-calculating field: See, that's kinda' what I figured. Cool, then. Glad that we're on the same page.

All else: Great! Lookin' good, man!

Astromath

First Post
I think that when you add the race, the racial ability increases would also be added automatically rather than manually to the ability scores (but not count toward the point buy total). Also, changing the race would replace the old race's ability increases with the new ones. I wonder if there is a way to add two columns for abilities. The first would be the base scores before any ability increases are added (such as racial increases and feat increases [the feat increases must be manually entered]) and the second column would the resulting scores after the increases are added. The first column would not print, but the second would.

Two other suggestions concerning point buy. The first suggestion is to add a checkbox to choose point buy. This would cause total limit default to 27 with the ability to change this number (this would allow for home brew campaigns that use point buy with totals other than 27). The second is to show that you are over budget, possibly by changing the color and highlighting the total field somehow.

Adding the checkbox would also add the standard point buy array for ability scores (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) with the highest going toward the class need (of course, this will only work if the class is selected first otherwise it will just add the scores straight down the list with the highest going to Strength and the lowest going to Charisma). Example: The 15 would go in Strength for the Fighter, the 15 would go in Intelligence for the Wizard, etc. My reasoning is that the standard array makes a good starting point and then adjust the scores from there to satisfy your style of play.

fitsou

First Post
Untitled.png

its a font think im sure, but can you help me?

Noah Ivaldi

First Post
Ability scores have to be manually input after your dice rolls/points delegations manually, in any case, so putting a little note that reminds people to add in their racial bonuses, which allows them to easily modify on the fly whether some magic changes their race with or without abilty score modifications, which is totally DM territory, is the most that MPMB can do, there. Having a blue, manual column in which we do our usual modifications and using the current column just to add 3, 4, or 5 to the total is pretty unnecessary for a little easy addition.

That's problem with a recommended array of ability scores is that there is way too much variation. Pretty much every "quick build" is, "Well, first, you should prioritize the stat that you do things with. Then, uh . . CON. Yeah, you need that for staying alive and stuff, so do that, I guess." Almost every class in 5E is SAD at first glance, but then every score is involved in saving throws. Summarily, it's almost 100% playstyle-dependent arrays. There would be no way for MPMB to empirically decide what baseline you should work from.

Also, MPMB: I didn't realize that the missing font error was a bug! I assumed that the form just, you know, used a font that I don't have. Awesome!

@Astromath[/MENTION]: I like the idea of automating more things, but I'm not sure if ability scores are the best place for that. They are the core of a character and having code change something without you noticing is potentially very frustrating. I put all the changes from race, feats, and class into the tooltip for ability scores with that idea in mind. But I'll have a think about what I can automate about this and what I cannot. Thank you for your suggestion as always!

@fitsou[/MENTION]: This is not a font thing, this is me not using the correct unicode characters in the code because for v6.4 I switched to a different program to put the code into the pdf. If you download the latest version (v6.43), you should no longer have this problem :)

@Noah Ivaldi[/MENTION]: Thank you for your vision on the ability scores, it is very much in line with how I like my character sheet.

As a rule of thumb you can assume that any pop-up message from Acrobat saying there is an error is something that shouldn't be there :p

I even found a way around the [Weight Carried] import message! New in v6.44. Also new in that version, no error messages when manually adding equipment!

Last edited:

-Could we have a "Powerful Build" checkbox next to carrying capacity? It's not like the math is too hard that we can't get along without this or anything, but, see, my DM doesn't keep track of encumbrance (Yeah, that's a bad idea. It's not my idea.), so he has house ruled Powerful Build to be a +1 to AC. Likewise, if DMs give out doubled carrying capacity as a result of magic items or other rewards, if custom races are involved, or if someone somehow has a permanent Enlarge spell on them, such a button would be kinda' convenient.
This is something I had not previously commented on because I overlooked it in the amount of text :p

There already is/was a "Carrying Capacity ×2" checkbox, do you mean you want another one? Selecting Goliath automatically improves you encumbrance levels, you don't need to check this box for Powerful Build to be applied.

Remove ads