• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E MPMB's D&D 5e Character Tools

Version 12.993 printer friendly sheet - running Adobe Reader DC on Linux Mint

I am running with PlayOnLinux which has a script for Adobe Reader DC - I believe it uses Windows XP compatability. I have the the Microsoft fonts installed in the Adobe DC prefix (Wine term for the workspace for a program)

Most everything works great!! some of the tool tips appear to have a font missing or broken.

I have a few screen shots showing the issue

Screenshot from 2017-06-09 09-36-02.pngScreenshot from 2017-06-06 13-22-40.pngScreenshot from 2017-06-06 13-19-10.png

I can test as needed. This is repeatable on 2 completely different pieces of hardware.

A compaq Presario V2000 running Linux Mint 18.1 (32 bit)
A Toshiba Sattelite i5 with Nvidia video card running Linux Mint 18.1 (64 bit)

both machines have the same PlayOnLinux w/windows fonts and exhibit the exact same behavior

Last edited:

SansMoins

Explorer
I am running with PlayOnLinux which has a script for Adobe Reader DC - I believe it uses Windows XP compatability. I have the the Microsoft fonts installed in the Adobe DC prefix (Wine term for the workspace for a program)

Most everything works great!! some of the tool tips appear to have a font missing or broken.

View attachment 84996View attachment 84997View attachment 84998

I can test as needed. This is repeatable on 2 completely different pieces of hardware.

both machines have the same PlayOnLinux w/windows fonts and exhibit the exact same behavior

Could this be an issue with PlayOnLinux?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Astromath

First Post
This isn't so much a bug as it is not a (annoyingly complex) feature. What you are asking would make even more fields from the equipment section disappear...

Currently, the import matches the line number on both sheets and then adds any of the lines that it couldn't do. This is fast, and will result in the maximum number of items to be fitted on the new sheet. As I expect people moving characters between the different versions will be the exception, not the rule, I don't feel this is something that I should spend too much time on. Those couple of minutes you lose sorting stuff on the new sheet are peanuts compared to the time it would take me to make the functionality as comprehensive as you are expecting. I would rather invest in adding more features to the sheet.

Actually, I found an easy way to get the equipment to the top. First move the item from the right column to the left column. That puts the item at the topmost empty line. Then move it back to the right column. Again, it puts the item in the topmost empty line. If there was code to simplify that, that would be great.

I thought of something else. Let's suppose the printer sheet 3rd column is full. When transferring to the color sheet, the 1st item appears about half-way down the 2nd column. Then it also fills up the three attuned magic items lines. I have no idea if the remaining items get carried over to the extra equipment list or they are just lost. I haven't tried it.

This also brings up another suggestion (I don't know if has been suggested or not yet). On the magic item description list, there is an attuned check box. The suggestion is when that box is checked it would copy the item to the appropriate line on the equipment list.

Lastly, in Volo's Guide, player races are limited to certain factions (or no faction). Example: Kobolds can only belong to the Emerald Enclave. When the Adventurer's League button is active, there should be a mouse over pop up that gives a warning that Kobolds are limited to the Emerald Enclave (for example).

Another limitation to factions, according to AL rules, is that Lawful Evil PCs are only allowed to join the Zentarim or the Lords Alliance. (Also, AL forbids CE and NE PCs). The simple solution would be a mouse over pop up warning when choosing non-AL compliant items. This would give the user a warning without completely preventing the choice.

On your initial screen where you choose to load the UA articles, it would be great to have a warning that those articles are not AL compliant and should not be used in a pure AL game.

P.S. I was going to ask for code to prevent non-AL choices until I realized that would be too much work, and also prevent me from running a partially AL compliant game (my home brew). I already have trouble with the background personality trait choices. The PH allows for customization (which is AL compliant). This means if the normal choice isn't in the list, I have to go hunting for the choice at the player wants, or take the time to type it in. I'm not too sure what the solution for that one is. Maybe a customization check box to allow all choices?

[...]

From your post on Patreon I thought you were talking about the fields themselves, but now I understand what is going wrong with the tooltips.

Because the tooltips don't allow for any formatting, I got a bit creative with how I have the sheet create them. I use unicode characters to create bold and italic letters, thus giving the tooltips a semblance of a more readable lay-out. This works nicely on my machine, Windows 10 with both Adobe Acrobat Reader and Pro DC, see the screenshot:
View attachment 85019

I don't know exactly what font is used for these characters, but considering the fact that it does work in Windows 10 and doesn't work in Windows XP, I'm guessing it is a Windows font issue and not Adobe Acrobat's fault.

With some quick searches I found an answer here that states the differences in unicode font versions between the Windows versions, showing that Windows XP does indeed run an outdated version. Your best bet would be to update this font in your Windows emulator to v5.00. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any legal way to get the font for free: https://www.fonts.com/font/monotype/lucida-sans/unicode

Be sure you have "Use local fonts" enabled in your Adobe Acrobat's settings after installing the font (Edit >> Preferences >> Page Display).

But keep in mind, this is just my first thought about how to fix this, I might be completely wrong ;)

Alternatively, you can alter the function in my sheet that creates the sets of unicode for the tooltips, which you can find here. However, such a change will only be applicable for tooltips that are altered during the process of the sheet, not those that are static.

Actually, I found an easy way to get the equipment to the top. First move the item from the right column to the left column. That puts the item at the topmost empty line. Then move it back to the right column. Again, it puts the item in the topmost empty line. If there was code to simplify that, that would be great.

I thought of something else. Let's suppose the printer sheet 3rd column is full. When transferring to the color sheet, the 1st item appears about half-way down the 2nd column. Then it also fills up the three attuned magic items lines. I have no idea if the remaining items get carried over to the extra equipment list or they are just lost. I haven't tried it.
It is true, if the third column is completely full, you are going to lose some stuff, because the sheet will try to add everything in the 3rd column below that which it fills in the colourful sheet's 2nd column. I will admit that I didn't but too much effort into that part of the import function, because I honestly don't expect that people will be switching between the sheet types that often that this will really be an issue for more than a handful of people.

However, I'm always open to better suggestions for handling this issue. Just send a pull request on GitHub with your suggestion for alternatives for my code :)

This also brings up another suggestion (I don't know if has been suggested or not yet). On the magic item description list, there is an attuned check box. The suggestion is when that box is checked it would copy the item to the appropriate line on the equipment list.
You can already copy a magic item from the Magic Item section to the three rows in the equipment section using the buttons. I don't think that automation for this will be appreciated by everybody.

Lastly, in Volo's Guide, player races are limited to certain factions (or no faction). Example: Kobolds can only belong to the Emerald Enclave. When the Adventurer's League button is active, there should be a mouse over pop up that gives a warning that Kobolds are limited to the Emerald Enclave (for example).

Another limitation to factions, according to AL rules, is that Lawful Evil PCs are only allowed to join the Zentarim or the Lords Alliance. (Also, AL forbids CE and NE PCs). The simple solution would be a mouse over pop up warning when choosing non-AL compliant items. This would give the user a warning without completely preventing the choice.
I'm assuming that you are talking about the tooltips and not pop-up dialogues. I can add a generic statement to the tooltip of the faction field, but I don't think that having class/race/alignment specific tooltips is worth the effort. Mostly because I have no idea about these AL rules and I would have to work through those badly formatted documents and unorganized rules to find all these exceptions, and I honestly don't have the energy for that right now.

I will add this to the Faction drop-down box' tooltip: "Note that, when playing in the Adventurers League, your choice for a Faction might be restricted by your class, race, and alignment."

On your initial screen where you choose to load the UA articles, it would be great to have a warning that those articles are not AL compliant and should not be used in a pure AL game.
You mean the source selection dialogue? Unfortunately, that dialogue is already too big for most screens. I expect that people who do AL will know what they can and can't use in the game. By default, all the UA articles are excluded, that is already a good indication that it is not part of the default rules. I would rather have less text in that dialogue than more...

P.S. I was going to ask for code to prevent non-AL choices until I realized that would be too much work, and also prevent me from running a partially AL compliant game (my home brew).
Great to see that you changed your stance on this. I don't want to limit people too much. D&D is about creativity and making your own game, I don't want to have things limited so that it is just 'by the book' and not useful for homebrew settings.

I already have trouble with the background personality trait choices. The PH allows for customization (which is AL compliant). This means if the normal choice isn't in the list, I have to go hunting for the choice at the player wants, or take the time to type it in. I'm not too sure what the solution for that one is. Maybe a customization check box to allow all choices?
That would be great, to have all the choices, but I don't think that will be very practical, because that list will be enormous! Probably it is easier just typing it in. I almost never used the suggested traits and almost always write my own, so I might not be that motivated to change anything about this functionality :p

Last edited:

Astromath

First Post
The only reason I'm making the AL suggestions is that in America, at least, you cannot play a character in a convention unless it is 100% AL compliant. Almost every store runs games that are 100% AL compliant. It is through these in store games that PCs are leveled up so that they can be played in conventions. We do have our non-AL games too (my home brew is an example).

I tried searching for conventions over there, but I came up empty. At least as far as the Netherlands is concerned. There's some in other countries (UK, France, Germany, etc.), but I'm not sure you could attend (I have no idea about visas or even if you need one) or even have the time to attend (depending on your real life job).

I did a search for stores near you for AL compliant games (I used the WotC store locator). Attached is a screen print of what I found. (Just trying to be helpful. :) )
Netherland Stores.jpg

Astromath

First Post
I just noticed that a lot of my players, when using completely blank sheets, write in their AC as xx/yy where xx is AC without shield and yy is AC with shield. Do you think you could add that capability to the AC field?

The same goes for those who have mage armor. xx = no mage armor/yy = with mage armor.

The color sheet is fine with us typing in the no shield/no mage armor in the resting field (though having it automated would be great). The printable sheet does not have that.

Last edited:

Version 12.993 - found an interesting issue - Using Windows 7 Adobe Reader DC

created a character - complete with spell sheets - and adventurers league selection

I realized I had "rules reference sheet" selected - I chose to delete the sheet and the App hangs with deleting page

Headbomb

First Post
Playing around with the latest version, ran into a bug.

If you select "Dungeon Delver" as a feat, then switch it to something else, the resistance to traps doesn't get removed in the Defense section of the sheet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads