MS Access Database (For Gaming)

Scribble

First Post
K... It's not done yet, and I tend to be somewhat ummm "organic" when I build stuff, adding new stuff when I think of stuff... but I'll get it out to people when I'm happy with what I have so far....

Just have a few more things to put into it before I send it. :)

Irondeacon

First Post
Count me in. I've used Excel (almost right), The Keep (Closer but still not relational, and can run slow when you load it up with hyperlinks etc.), and a notebook (lost pages, nuff said). The idea of using a db is very appealing.

Yup, count me in for sure. And thanks in advance!

ashockney

First Post
We used an Access db at my last job, and ever since then I've thought a great deal about doing a database that collects all treasure, character stats, npc stats, magic item stats, and creature stats. You could then pull all kinds of reports to auto generate encounter stat blocks, and compare averages, etc. I'd also love to see it with tables that cross-reference each edition of the game, so that if you wanted, you could see a chart of xorn from 1e, 2e, 3e, and 4e. That would be awesomeness. If you could get enough people involved, wiki-style, it wouldn't be hard to populate the tables and fill a database up quick.

I've used Excel spreadsheets for most of my DM work since 3e.

I like your idea of a sandbox style random game and events generator. That's also a very cool idea.

tyrlaan

Explorer
I'd definitely be interested in seeing this. I'm like renau1g, Excel nut with a smattering of Access, but I'm very intrigued by what you've put together.

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
Seeing all this interest in the Access database makes me wish I'd have followed up on the plan my one player and I had to build a web-based campaign manager app in ASP.NET and SQL a few years back. >_<

Maybe I'll dredge that project back up into the light, in light of this.

frierfly

First Post
I'm (somewhat) handy at working with/creating access databases, and VBA coding, so I decided to use my skills to start building myself a database for gaming.

Ok I'm a nerd... but... Would anyone be interested in a copy when I'm done?

Also any other things people thing would be useful in something like this?

It's not going to be the prettiest thing ever, but hopefully usable. :)
I need this as I am trying to build a town with detailed NPCs, guilds/organizations, and shops/locations.

GungHo

Explorer
Epic
I have done this. Had several to represent different worlds I created. Converted to a SQL db later on. It can be a bit of a rabbit hole. Storyboard your database (data model) and the relationships/keys before you fill out a bunch of stuff. Once stuff gets several tables deep, you’ve gone too far and probably need to simplify. Just because you’re doing something for yourself doesn’t mean you shouldn’t consider usability and UX/UI principles.

Stormonu

Legend
10 years dead and now risen, but still relevant...

These days, I'd go with a wiki for tracking that sort of information. Maybe something like GM Binder?

Remove ads