D&D 5E MTOF: Elves are gender-swapping reincarnates and I am on board with it

Strictly illegal. By the way, illegal in AL.

Too many references to gods everywhere else in the Players Handbook and other core rules.

Impossible to play without running into gods.
Are you playing a cleric in AL?
If yes, then why would you make a character that so purposely hits a pet peeve?
If no, then why does it matter if it's illegal in that campaign?

The thing is, whether or not clerics of causes or philosophies are allowed is up to the DM. That's something permissible on a campaign-by-campaign basis. That's not something that should be in the PHB, because while it fits settings like Eberron perfectly, it's problematic in Forgotten Realms where if you don't worship a god your soul is lost. It's not a decision that rests with the player because the player shouldn't be telling the DM how gods work in the chosen world.

There's only two reference to "deities" or "gods" in the clerical features (and not their flavour). And that's Divine Inspiration and War Priest. All the rest is strictly flavour text.

If the 1e PHB can be used to play Dragonlance, with no orcs or paladins and wildly different gnomes and halflings, then the god complaint is minor. If the 2e PHB can be used to play Dark Sun with no gods, orcs, gnomes, and a bajillion other differences then crossing out "deities" and writing "divine power" is effortless.

But, be that as it may, my complaint is that Planescape is a specific setting in the game that has largely taken over every part of the cosmology. So, yeah, I don't like it very much.
Out of morbid curiosity, what aspects of Planescape? Is it just Sigil and the Blood War? Or something subtler?

Cyrinishad

Explorer
The Forgotten Realms doesn't have Christianity, Islam, ect...

And yes your relationship with your God is up to the player, but if they are a cleric they DO have a functing relationship with their God, after all they still have spells.

I hate to disagree with you Gyor, but as soon as Elminster met up with Greenwood on Earth, the door was opened to Earthly religions as viable concepts for characters... I'm certainly not saying that any Earthly faiths have large followings or established churches, etc... However, it is not outside the realm of possibility for a character concept to be an adherent of an Earthly Religion, and be granted Cleric spells... It has been established over and over again in the Realms that there are deities willing to grant spells to people in the name of other deities... Is it really too far of a stretch of imagination that a Faerunian deity would similarly grant a Cleric spells in the name of an Earthly Religion? I certainly don't think so... and neither does Cyric.

Yaarel

He Mage
Are you playing a cleric in AL?
If yes, then why would you make a character that so purposely hits a pet peeve?
If no, then why does it matter if it's illegal in that campaign?

The thing is, whether or not clerics of causes or philosophies are allowed is up to the DM. That's something permissible on a campaign-by-campaign basis. That's not something that should be in the PHB, because while it fits settings like Eberron perfectly, it's problematic in Forgotten Realms where if you don't worship a god your soul is lost. It's not a decision that rests with the player because the player shouldn't be telling the DM how gods work in the chosen world.

I like healers, I like spell casters, and I want the cleric class to work well.

I even like human spiritualities, I like mysticism, I like monotheism, I like animism, I like Buddhism, I like Daoism − when the cleric class looks more like the religions of many different kinds of ethnic groups, I like it. The 3e cleric supports ethnic diversity for religious traditions. I like the 3e cleric.

The 5e core rules arent working for me. The 5e core rules saturate with unwanted setting assumptions. It is nonviable to spend weeks scrubbing out undesirable flavor from the text. I need *rules* that are setting neutral.

For my purposes, I need it to be easy to create my own setting guide. I need to cut-and-paste the classes that the setting will feature, and the races that the setting will feature, the spell list that the setting will feature, the combat rules that the setting will feature. For example, cut-and-paste the cleric class, add a few sentences or paragraphs about notable religious traditions that the setting features, and then move on to the next thing that I need to think about when building an entire world. When the 5e core rules get out of the way of world building, this can be done in a single day − an enjoyable day. Creating a world is fun.

Combing to find and remove unwanted sentences or parts of sentences across many pages of core rules, is unfun.

Consider the player who wants to be a cleric in a setting where there are only nontheistic elemental mystical traditions. I unwant for that player to consult the Players Handbook that then insists on almost every page that the ‘gods’ are the ones who are the source of cleric spells. That dissonance is undesirable, that disruption to immersion is unacceptable. It ruins my fun of creating a world.

3e has an official core rules SRD that is setting neutral. I need that for when I play 5e too.

I am beyond sick of gods.

Last edited:

I even like human spiritualities, I like mysticism, I like monotheism, I like animism, I like Buddhism, I like Daoism − when the cleric class looks more like the religions of many different kinds of ethnic groups, I like it. The 3e cleric supports ethnic diversity for religious traditions. I like the 3e cleric.
But, I repeat, are you playing AL? Because otherwise what AL does or does not is irrelevant to the conversation.

And while you may like playing with spirituality and mysticism and animism… you still need to fit the campaign setting. If the DM is okay with you playing a cleric to a totemic spirit then that's fine. If the DM isn't okay because clerics of causes don't fit their world, you shouldn't be able to wave the PHB in their face and say "But the RULES say I can be a cleric to a cause!"

(Anecdote here. While I believe you want to be a cleric of a cause because of your knowledge of other religions and types of spirituality, this wasn't universally the case. In 3e, I saw quite a few people opt to be clerics of causes so they could be clerics with not having to obey any dogma or restrictions and just murderhobo things up. )

The 5e core rules arent working for me. The 5e core rules saturate with unwanted setting assumptions. It is nonviable to spend weeks scrubbing out undesirable flavor from the text. I need *rules* that are setting rules.
Then don't use the 5e core rules.

Seriously. If 5e isn't hitting the right spots, switch to 13th Age, or Fate, or Genesys, or Cortex, or Fantasy AGE, or Cypher, or Pathfinder.
You have choices.

But… attacking on a game you don't like on a forum entirely dedicated to that game is not a good choice. That's like going to a barbeque and complaining about how you hate meat. It's not going to get a good reaction. And it's just going to derail any discussion being had.

For my purposes, I need it to be easy to create my own setting guide. I need to cut-and-paste the classes that the setting will feature, and the races that the setting will feature, the spell list that the setting will feature, the combat rules that the setting will feature. For example, cut-and-paste the cleric class, add a few sentences or paragraphs about notable religious traditions that the setting features, and then move on to the next thing that I need to think about when building an entire world. When the 5e core rules get out of the way of world building, this can be done in a single day − an enjoyable day. Creating a world is fun.

Combing to find and remove unwanted sentences or parts of sentences across many pages of core rules, is unfun.
Well, you can't cut-and-paste the PHB, so that's always going to be an issue.

The thing is, we're talking about flavour. Which is the easiest thing in the game to change. It's when the rules and tone of the mechanics are problematic that are far more of an issue.
If you want gritty realism or fragile characters or low magic then D&D gets in the way of the world. Because any changes need to be written and balanced and playtested and taught to the players.

Flavour is simple.
In my campaign setting, sorcerers gain their magic by drinking the blood or powerful beings with arcane power (celestials, dragons, fiends, etc), and barbarians are possessed with a primal spirit of rage that threatens to consume their minds and turn them into feral beasts of unceasing fury.
I'm not going to get mad at the rules of the game for not accommodating my vision of the class. The job of the book is to present the baseline and give enough flavour for rushed DMs to improv a setting on the fly.

Consider the player who wants to be a cleric in a setting where there are only nontheistic elemental mystical traditions. I unwant for that player to consult the Players Handbook that then insists on almost every page that the ‘gods’ are the ones who are the source of cleric spells. That dissonance is undesirable, that disruption to immersion is unacceptable. It ruins my fun of creating a world.
There are campaign settings without elves or dwarves despite the many pages in the PHB that insist they are a thing.
Again, no orcs or drow in Dragonlance, no gnomes and orcs in Dark Sun.
2e tied clerics with deities even more tightly than 5e and Dark Sun still managed to have elemental cults.

It takes ONE SENTENCE:
"The gods are remote and do not directly grant spells, although some clerics believe otherwise and insist they are the chosen champions of their deity, but agnostic clerics who do not follow the tenets of a divine power continue to demonstrate spellcasting."​
Bam. Done. Suddenly, all the flavour in the PHB becomes unreliable narration from the believers.

3e has a legal core SRD that is setting neutral. I need that for when I play 5e too.
Your problem here is that you're comparing the 3e SRD with the 5e PHB. The 3e PHB is also full of gods and references to the Greyhawk pantheon, which is the default.

Instead, try looking at the 5e SRD. The term "deity" only appears 9 times in the cleric entry and the term "god" 5 times. Most of the latter in reference to sample gods, which can just be deleted.
Changing that should take a two minutes. Tops.
Now compare this with the 18 references to "deity" in the cleric entry in the cleric entry of the 3e SRD! Literally twice as many. And hard rules like "A cleric’s alignment must be within one step of his deity’s". That sure sounds like you *need* to worship a god. Deities are just as assumed by the class.
And pretty much every single spell that references deities in 5e does so in 3e.

Again, the differences between 3e and 5e are largely additive. The 3e book ADDS text saying you can worship a cause or philosophy. So your problem is NOT what is in the 5e PHB, but what is missing.
So copy that text. Just pull it from the 3e SRD and throw it into your documents. Because that's the difference.

Cyrinishad

Explorer

The 5e core rules arent working for me. The 5e core rules saturate with unwanted setting assumptions. It is nonviable to spend weeks scrubbing out undesirable flavor from the text. I need *rules* that are setting neutral.

3e has an official core rules SRD that is setting neutral. I need that for when I play 5e too.

I am beyond sick of gods.

You just can't get out of your own way on this subject can you?

I took a look at the 3e Cleric entry in the 3e PHB that you consider to be the ideal presentation, and compared it to the 5e Cleric entry in the 5e PHB that you clearly loathe... and hilariously your perceptions and characterizations of the content once again do not match reality...

The 3e Cleric entry is 4 pages long... It references a cleric's "deity/deities" 33 times, and a cleric's "god(s)/goddess(es)" 46 times... That's 79 god/deity references in 4 pages.

The 5e Cleric entry is 8 pages long... It references a cleric's "deity/deities" 27 times, and a cleric's "god(s)/goddess(es)" 46 times... That's 73 god/deity references in 8 pages.

:hmm:

Yaarel

He Mage
It takes ONE SENTENCE:
"The gods are remote and do not directly grant spells, although some clerics believe otherwise and insist they are the chosen champions of their deity, but agnostic clerics who do not follow the tenets of a divine power continue to demonstrate spellcasting."​

The gods lack existence anywhere. In the setting, the word ‘gods’ never happens.

Yaarel

He Mage
While I believe you want to be a cleric of a cause because of your knowledge of other religions and types of spirituality, this wasn't universally the case. In 3e, I saw quite a few people opt to be clerics of causes so they could be clerics with not having to obey any dogma or restrictions and just murderhobo things up.

My concern is personalizing character concept. And personalizing cosmology concept.

But in any case, with regard to gaming design, the paladin class works better without alignment mechanics, the cleric class works better without gods mechanic.

Satyrn

First Post
This looks like you're saying you think your players won't respect your setting. That they'll look read your stuff and say "but the book says something else!" as the the book over rules you. Or something like that. Maybe you mean you think your players are incapable of ignoring fluff in the books.

I think you're underestimating your players. I'm not sure I've ever met a table that didn't ignore massive swaths of flavor, that didn't expect the books to be anything but suggestions to be used or ignored as desired.

Sacrosanct

Legend
My concern is personalizing character concept. And personalizing cosmology concept.

But in any case, with regard to gaming design, the paladin class works better without alignment mechanics, the cleric class works better without gods mechanic.

I'm not sure any class that literally means "religious leader" is better designed without religion being part of it. As a designer myself, and with a real job of being a systems analyst/project manager, any time you miss the primary scope of what you're designing, we'd call that "horrible design", not "better designed".

What you're wanting is a magic user or sorcerer or any other caster class that isn't tied to religion being it's thing. Stop trying to change the cleric into something that is literally the opposite of what it's supposed to represent.

Remove ads