• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

multi class Divine Sanction?

ki11erDM

Explorer
Divine Sanction (from Divine Power) is a new effect for some Paladin powers. My question is if my fighter takes multi class feats and takes a power like Valorous Smite, do I get to use the Divine Sanction effect?

Valorous Smite
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma modifier damage. Each enemy within 3 squares of you is subject to your divine sanction until the end of your next turn.

Divine Sanction
Many paladin powers subject a target to your divine sanction. Being subject to it means the target is marked by you as discribed by the power.
The marked target takes radiant damage equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier the first time each round it makes an attack that doesn’t include you as a target.

N8Ball

Explorer
Divine Sanction said:
Many new paladin powers and some of the new feats in this book subject a target to your divine sanction. Being subject to it means the target is marked by you as described by you for a duration specified in the description of the power or feat.

I would disagree with the others. The ability to apply divine sanction is granted and controlled by the powers and feats themselves, as described by full text on DS (italicized above). It's not really a class feature granted from being a paladin otherwise all Paladins would have it. It's a type of mark applied from Paladin powers and feats, any of which you can take if you're a MC Pally.

This is apparent when you note that a full fledged Paladin who doesn't have any of those powers or feats has NO ability to use a Divine sanction. Thus it's not a function of being a full Paladin, it's a function of having the appropriate powers/feats.

The description in the book just tells you what Divine Sanction does, should your powers or feats grant it.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
It's unclear if Divine Sanction is a class ability which some powers allow you to use, or if Divine Sanction is an effect of some powers which is simply described elsewhere.

They should clear that up.

Cheers, -- N

ChristopherA

First Post
I had the same question when I first read the ability. It looks to me like divine sanction does not appear to be a class feature, just a keyword that has a certain effect. It is not listed as a "Class Feature" or a "Class Power". It is more like the way that that invigorating and rattling are described in the fighter section of martial powers. So you don't have to be a paladin to use it. It is probably just in the paladin section because the Power books don't have a "New Rules" section.

What is strange and confusing is that the formatting of the paragraph is the "commentary" formatting, normally used for colorful descriptions and build suggestions, not for game rules.

N8Ball

Explorer
Agreed. Compare the introduction of the Rattling keyword in MP... :confused:

I agree that it could have been described more clearly. I think part of the reason why it wasn't described like rattling (although that would have cleared a lot up) is that it's not *exactly* a new keyword in the strictest sense since it doesn't appear in the keyword line of powers.

Rather, it's more like a special applied condition, like general Marking. Lots of classes have the ability to put marks on targets through powers, (warlords and clerics being notable non defenders). But the rules on Marking is not pitched as a keyword, or even described explicitly in the class section. If you want to know what that part of your warlord power does, you have to go look up the marked condition on the combat section.

In this case, the applied special condition is unique to Paladins, so it's only described (poorly) in the paladin section, thus creating the confusion.

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
Except for the fact it's not actually a condition, the above is correct.

It's a special set of rules shorthand. The alternative is to write 'Is marked and takes your charisma modifier +3 in damage, +6 if you are level 11 or higher, +9 if you are level 21 or higher.' rather than 'is subject to your divine sanction.'

You can't write it clearer than how it is written. If it were in a different section, where'd you put it? In the feats? In the... um... other feats?

There's no other place to put it (with the only class powers that use it) and there's no way to present it as elegantly as they have.

Please notice that Divine Sanction doesn't mention only paladins cam make use of it, only that it is intended as a suppliment to Divine Challenge.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads