• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Multi class polearm fighter

asjwolverine

First Post
I am playing a Mountain Dwarf Polearm Master and want to multi-class with the war cleric. How many levels of fighter should i take before taking the first level of cleric and how many levels should i take as a cleric and still build the fighter side?

Or would the tempest domain be more cool?

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
What abilities do you want from the fighter class before you switch to cleric? Level up as fighter til you get those abilities, then switch.

In short, the answer to your question lies in answering one of your own: what do you want the character to be able to do? And if you don't know, why are you taking levels in any class?

Oofta

Legend
You can make a pretty decent fighting cleric without ever taking any levels of fighter, and taking levels of fighter will put you somewhat behind the power curve for spellcasting and other cool things.

However, if you do start off as a fighter I would probably do 2 levels and then switch over to cleric for the next 4 levels. After that, I'd base it on what aspect of the character I'm having the most fun with and what makes sense.

A second level fighter has some nice features such as a fighting style, second wind and action surge while you haven't sacrificed much of your clerical power yet.

I have found for my characters that I've been doing 4 levels per class so that I get the ability bonus and other features ... then again my characters rarely stay on the initial target I set for them so I may not be the best guide.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I am playing a Mountain Dwarf Polearm Master and want to multi-class with the war cleric. How many levels of fighter should i take before taking the first level of cleric and how many levels should i take as a cleric and still build the fighter side?

Or would the tempest domain be more cool?

You might want to post this in Character Optimization if there is a particular kind of character you are after. But even there you will probably need to explain better what concept you are after.

Remove ads