• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multi-Classing ala 1st edition could it be done in 3.x

DarkMaster

First Post
I was reading the thread about the new lite D&D and it remind me how we use to multi-class in first edition and that it could be a solution to the infamous fighter/Magic user multi-class imbalance in 3.x

I was thinking of something like you have a total XP total which represent your PC level, this total is then used to calculate when you gain a feat and for ability score increases. Then you can use this total to buy class level - 10% for each class in excess of one (using or not the favored class but that would have to be tried a bit more).

So with 36000 xp you could buy 8 level of any class or 5 level of two class (both cost 15 000) and have 2400 Points left in one of the two class, or you could be a 4 figther/4 level wizard/3 level rogue with some point left.

You would calculate your HP the following way Best Class hp + (other class hp/ number of class) only your first class would get you full HP. so a 1figther/1wizard/1 rogue would have 10 + 2/3 + 4/3 = 12 HP not bad for the equivalent of a 2nd level character. Fraction would be rounded down, same would be done for save so in our example fortitude save would be 2 +0/3+0/3 = 2. in case of a tie one or the other save would be used (highest level)

So when our guy in the example would level he would gain a wizard level he would gain 1d4/3 hp 0/3 fortitude and reflex and 1 of will since its the strongest of the three class. At first level you would gain 4x of your first class and each level thereafter you would gain following the same rule so in our example a level of rogue would give 8 points and a level of fighter or wizard would give 2/3 of a rank. All skill within your class skill would be considered class skill

But you would gain the full class ability, so a PC with 21000xp a 6 level PC with 3figther/4wizard would cast as a 4 wizard have 2 bonus fighter feat, scribe scroll and a familiar with the power of a 4rd level caster, a BAB of 4, Fortitude 3 (3.5), reflex 1, Will 4 (4.5), assuming he started as a fighter he would have 10 + 5 + 6 + 2/4 + 3/4 + 2/4 +3/4 = 23.5 => 23 hp + 6xCON bonus since the character is a 6th level. he would also have 2x4 + 2 + 2 +2 +2/3+2/3+2/3 = 16 + (6+3)xInt bonus skill points.

I would not allow prestige class, maybe but I still didn't think about it.

I still need to work out some detail and verify how it scales at higher level, but I feel this solution would allow a neat fighter/wizard type of character.

Halivar

First Post
The 3.0 DMG has rules for 1st level multi-classing. You'll find it in the same section as multi-classing. I can't verify that it's in the 3.5 DMG (no books at work), but I suspect it's still there.

Pyrex

First Post
A better solution for previous-edition multiclassing is the Unearthed Arcana 'Gestalt' rules. If you consider 'Gestalt' to be worth +2LA, the XP even works out fairly close.

DarkMaster

First Post
Gestalt lack the flexibilitity I am looking for, plus It doesn't have the same fill. I am just proposing an idea and would like to have some comment. It seems quite complex to follow now, but I would like to get comment to see how we could ease such a system

For the Prestige class I tough of the following if it requires a PC to be at least 5th level before they can take it than the first level will be worth 6000xp and the second 13000xp and so on, for a Prestige class requiring at least 15 level it would cost 15000 to take the first level. The PC would still have to meet the minimum requirement

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads