• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Multi-classing and the fighter's extra attack

Huntsman57

First Post
"You can't make more than two attacks with this feature unless it says you do (as the fighter's version of extra attack does)."

I feel pretty daft, but my brain is simply not wrapping itself around this sentence for whatever reason. As I understand it, the fighter's extra attacks do not stack with the extra attack of the class you're multi-classing with. What is it saying I *can* do with a fighter's extra attack that I couldn't with another class's extra attack?

Huntsman57

First Post
So that sentence actually has nothing to do with multi-classing it sounds like. The writers of the PHB just picked an odds spot to remind us all that the fighter's extra attacks stack with each other?

So at the end of the day a multi-classed fighter's extra attacks with continue to stack with themselves but never with extra attacks from another class. That's pretty much all I need to know about that yea?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Yes -- that's right.

As for the placement: since the issue only comes up for multi-classing characters (and multi classing is technically optional), I think it is the right place for the rule. It is telling you that five-level dips in classes (not a dip, I know; regardless) does not give you what many would see as the biggest perk of committing that far: for extra attacks you are always best staying pure fighter.

CapnZapp

Legend
You get 2 attacks after five levels of any one of the martial classes.

To get 3 attacks, you need eleven levels of fighter.

Simple.

Shiroiken

Legend
I feel it should have been worded "When you take the Attack Action on your Turn, you may make 2 Attacks" with the following for Fighter "At 11th Level, you may make 3 Attacks instead." Much simpler, IMO.

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
The wording may seam a bit weird, but then again the fighter is the only class that gets extra attacks per level (the others just getting 2 attacks per turn at lvl 5).

Remove ads