• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multi-Classing, got a favorite way to mix it up?

gorfnab

First Post
The Hellfire Ur-Lock is one of my favorites. Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 2/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Eldritch Disciple 8 (or Eldritch Disciple 7 with a level of Mindbender at level 15 or 18 for Mindsight).

Wizard (Spontaneous Divination ACF) 5/ Paragnostic Apostle 1/ Urban Savant 10/ Paragnostic Apostle 4 is just great for an information based mage.

Grey Elf VoP Elven Generalist Domain Wizard (Spontaneous Divination ACF) 5/ Elf Paragon 3/ Warblade 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Eldritch Knight 6 - A holy self sufficient gish, all you really need is a quarter staff. At 1st level you'll need two flaws and the Collegiate Wizard feat to pull this off, but otherwise you should be set. Sadly with this build you'll get 9th level spells at 20th level along with the 16 BAB.

Last edited:

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I made use of some monk/barbarian cheese on a character that is stupidly MAD.

I had a monk 2/barbarian 1/ranger 3/fighter 2/holy liberator 10/legendary leader 1 (20th level is up in the air still) Legendary leader was mostly grabbed because I was out of ideas for something really useful but the boost to saves fit with the craziness of the saves.

This fellow fought with a spiked heavy shield in one hand, an open hand in the off hand. Had the Improved Shield Bash, Shield Slam and Shield Charge feats for the shield. For the open hand had TWF (from ranger), Stunning Fist (monk), Deflect Arrows (monk), and Weakening Touch (ftr bonus), plus the open hand let him cast spells. For the casting I grabbed Practiced Spellcaster, I begged for access to Battle Blessing, but so far has not been allowed.

This shield spikes have been enchanted with greater wounding, keen, and transmuting. The adamantine shield has been enchanted with bashing, ghost touch, and imbued with an intelligent skull.

Acquired a belt of magnificence +6 (by cashing in a favor got this at 20% discounted) that helps in sooo many ways for this MAD character, while the mithral breastplate was enchanted with heavy fort, buoyant, glamered, anti-impact, deep, shadow, and silent.

Fighting style has often involved charging in dealing a daze with the shield, then full attacking either using the heavy shield two-handed with Power Attack, or full attacking with two weapon bring the open hand in to use up some of those Stunning Fists per day to Weakening Touch (-6 STR penalty or stun). Full attacking either way but standing close to try and smack again with Defensive Sweep. With greater wounding, many foes don't last long.

The open hand has meant he's able to cast rather often, regularly getting off righteous fury (for 50 temp hp and +4 sacred bonus to STR that stacks with the rage cheese and the +6 from the belt). Sometimes he's cast out holy sword on the shield spikes when dealing with undead or fiends, transmuting helps with variable DR types. If I could get Battle Blessing it would let him cast these as a swift action, I can dream . . .

His saves are what are what has made him remarkable and multiclassing played a nice part with this. The belt of magnificence has played a part (boosting each of the three abilities that affect saves plus Charisma), has I think a MIC-guideline designed cloak that grants a +5 resist to saves and +3 insight to AC, plus the HL's Divine Grace (+6 to all saves), and the LL's luck to all saves. All told, his Fort comes to +40 (from the multiclassing with melee classes), Reflex to +28 (and evasion, multiclassing with monk), +31 for Will (plus immune to charm and compulsion from HL, immune to fear from LL).

Not yet sure where I'll grab a 20th level.

The cohort from his Leadership feat is another story, but I'll say that the character was granted the option to lose the cohort and followers from Leadership for the benefit of a bralani as the celestial companion. Chose took the bralani, she has made a frightening archer and I don't miss the optimized cleric cohort who was dismissed. Well, sometimes I wonder . . .

Thing is, without the belt, greater wounding, and special blended cohort/celestial companion, I'm not sure he'd be much of a terror. He is now that he's high level, he's jumping though prismatic walls regularly.

Oh, and that intelligent telepathic skull affixed to the shield that shoots disintegrate and insanity beems 1/day out of each of its eyes, haste 3/day on wielder, and mirror image 2/day on wielder, 19th level caster. Yeah, it's the items that make a multiclassed MAD supersaver warrior.

nijineko

Explorer
for the toolbox build, one of my favorites is a human spell-to-power erudite chameleon. sometimes mixing it with legacy champion is useful.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads