• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multi-Classing Idea that Generates the Least Problems

ren1999

First Post
I believe I have finally found a multi-classing solution that people agree is fair. I'm testing out this idea on you.

Choose a class.

Barbarian(Berzerker), Fighter(Knight)

Dedicated Martial Class Bonus: +1 Strength

Starting Hit Points: constitution score+12

Hit Points Per Level-Up: con mod+12 hit points

Healer's Kit

Armor: up to plate armor

Weapon Damage: 1d12+ability mod+level mod/Spell Damage:(if you multi-class, and use spells, move to the mixed class table)

Class Powers: Martial Feats

Rogue(Assassin), Ranger(Scout)

Skilled Class Bonus: +1 Dexterity

Hit Points: constitution score+10

Starting Hit Points Per Level-Up: con mod+10 hit points

Healer's Kit

Armor: up to leather armor

Weapon Damage: 1d10+ability mod+level mod/Spell Damage: (if you multi-class and use spells, move to the mixed class table)

Class Powers: Rogue Skills:Disable Device, Open Locks, Pick Pocket Ranger Skills:Forage Food, Track Quarry, Build Shelter

Cleric(Paladin), Monk

Mixed Class Bonus: +1 Wisdom

Starting Hit Points: constitution score+8

Hit Points Per Level-Up: con mod+8 hit points

Healing Spells

Armor: up to chain-mail

Weapon Damage: 1d8+ability mod+level mod/Spell Damage:1d10+ability mod+level mod

Class Powers: Healing, Cursing and Controlling Prayers/Class Restrictions:Your spells lose their area effect

Druid, Wizard

Dedicated Casting Class Bonus: +1 Intelligence

Starting Hit Points: constitution score+6

Hit Points Per Level-Up: con mod+6 hit points

Healer's Kit

Armor: bracers, jewelry, 1 plate armor piece, and magic abjuration spells

Weapon Damage: 1d6+ability mod+level mod/Spell Damage:1d12+ability mod+level mod/Class Powers: Burst Area Spells

Multi-Classing

Always use the mixed class table if you have martial and casting classes.

Otherwise, use the skilled class table if you have any rouge or ranger skills.

ren1999

First Post
I don't understand your idea, care to explain?

In summary, there are 4 arch-classes;
a dedicated martial class
a skilled class
a mixed martial and casting class
and a dedicated casting class

If your character is multi-classed and is a weapons fighter and a caster, then you increase your hit points and work from the mixed martial and casting class table.

If your fighter character is multi-classing and wants to learn some valuable rogue or ranger skills, your fighter character must then used the skilled class table forever, or until the fighter wants to multi-class into casting spells.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I'm not sure, how about bards? Sorcerers? Warlocks? What happens with multiclass druid-wizards? Multiclass ranger rogues? How do the bonuses work ? How much to get your class working as intended?

ren1999

First Post
Bards and Druid-Wizards would be in the MixedMartialAndCasting class.
Sorcerers would be in the DedicatedCasting class.
Rouge-Rangers would still be in the SkilledClass.

ambroseji

Explorer
This could be a solid idea, but I don't really see how it's compatible with the D&D Next class system as we understand it. I see this more as a foundation for a completely different class system than as a module that could be used with DDN.

ren1999

First Post
The arch-classes will just determine things like the type of die roll used for hit points, attack rolls, and damage rolls.

Fighters get the highest die, but they are limited to attacking adjacent enemies.
Skilled class uses a die that is one step down from a dedicated fighter, but they get great skills in exchange.
Mixed fighter casters, have average die but they can use necromanitic healing and cursing spells.
Casters get the lowest die, but they can use area spells.

Remove ads