• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Multi-classing in 4e - hints from ToB?

caelum

First Post
Dave Noonan's ruminations on the "gish" (see Glyfair's thread on the WotC blogs for an excerpt) got me thinking about Tome of Battle, which introduced a new paradigm for multi-classing. All of the ToB classes have combat abilities that are, in many ways, the analog of spells - each had a level, etc, and you could only use a limited number, etc. The interesting thing was that, if you multi-classed into one of the ToB classes, your "initiator level" (equivalent of caster level) started out at (1/2 your character level + level in ToB classes). This meant that, if you were 8th level, and then picked up a level of swordsage, you could take 5th level maneuvers immediately.

To keep things in balance, each maneuver had (in addition to a level), a set of prerequisites (like, "three other Tiger Claw maneuvers") so that you couldn't just take ALL high-level maneuvers.

From my reading (I haven't used it in play), I liked the idea of making multi-classing more viable, and I liked how it encouraged you to "pick a path" to get prerequisites for the more powerful abilities (in contrast to a single-classed swordsage, who knew lots of maneuvers so would have more flexibility than fighter who dipped into swordsage). But it was more bookkeeping - in addition to the pre-requisites that were necessary to keep the whole thing balanced, it also meant that the order in which you chose your class levels was incredibly important - an 8th level druid who took a level of warblade looked very different from a 1st level warblade who then switched into druid. For some reason, the loss of symmetry annoyed me.

I haven't seen any discussion of how this worked in practice - does anybody have experience? Does it seem like a system that would make the fighter/wizard more viable overall?

~Johnny~

First Post
I suspect you're on to something here. Multiclass casters won't have the breadth of spell trees, but within a certain branch they'll be almost as good as a single-classed caster.

Alternately, they could just design spells (and class features that work similarly) so they scale more with character level. A 9th-level character casting a 1st-level spell should get more out of it than a 1st-level character (aside from overcoming SR).

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
caelum said:
This meant that, if you were 8th level, and then picked up a level of swordsage, you could take 5th level maneuvers immediately.
Almost right: you would be a 5th level initiator with access to 3rd level maneuvers.

We've used Bo9S quite a lot in our games, and the mutliclassing system is a serious improvement.

breschau

First Post
I don't think that sounds right. If a character dual-classes, they should be equal to their class level in each, not 2/3 in each. They chose to split their xp between two classes, they're taking the hit and they should gain the benefit of the levels they've bought in those classes, not more. The benefit of multi-classing is the mix of skills, pure and simple.

A 10th level character (Wiz5, Fig5) shouldn't be treated as a Wiz7 and Fig7, that's crap.

Victim

First Post
breschau said:
I don't think that sounds right. If a character dual-classes, they should be equal to their class level in each, not 2/3 in each. They chose to split their xp between two classes, they're taking the hit and they should gain the benefit of the levels they've bought in those classes, not more. The benefit of multi-classing is the mix of skills, pure and simple.

A 10th level character (Wiz5, Fig5) shouldn't be treated as a Wiz7 and Fig7, that's crap.

The problem is that currently the lack of synergy between many classes mean that the fighter 5/wiz 5 is either acting like a ~5th level wizard or maybe a 7th level fighter. He's not functioning as a 10th level character. Five and five levels are adding up to 10 only as far XP goes, not for how character generally plays.

fuindordm

Adventurer
breschau said:

Multiclassing is one of the few mechanical changes in 3rd edition that I always hated. The freedom to pick up classes as you go along is good, but the consequences were just not worth it: multiclassing with a spellcaster leaves the character's "big guns" in both classes too far behind the rest of the party, and they end up serving more of a cohort role than a hero role. The proof is that WotC had to design prestige classes to make up the gap.

The amusing thing is that if you take the XP of a tenth level character (45000) and divide it equally between two classes (22500), what do you get?

That's right, a 7/7 character.

And why should learning the first level in a class (say, equivalent to one year of college courses) be as difficult for a high-level character than advanced study in their own class (say, equivalent to getting a dissertation)?

It's only overpowered if you give it 14 hit dice and add together the saves and BAB. If you take their average instead, you get a reasonably character. Perhaps a little more frail than the rest of the group, and the "big guns" a couple of levels behind the curve, but more flexible. If that still seems a little too powerful, take away one nice perk per class: no weapon specialization, no school specialization, no spontaneous casting of healing spells, etc.

Unearthed Arcana had the Magic Rating as an option presented as something dealing with caster levels.

It's possible that ToB's initiator levels might be the new basis for how "caster level" works in 4e. With this idea a fighter 5/ wizard 5 might have a "caster level" of 7 and a "initiator level" of 7 for martial powers.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
fuindordm said:
The amusing thing is that if you take the XP of a tenth level character (45000) and divide it equally between two classes (22500), what do you get?

That's right, a 7/7 character.
Huh. Never noticed that before.
-blarg

Remove ads