• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multi-classing monsters

Dirigible

Explorer
Picked up Savage Species the other day.

Now, I know that what the book says is that if you start in a monster class, you have to finish it before taking any other levels. And yes, this makes sense in that it stops people taking the juicy bonus most monster classes give at first level before going on to pastures with more HD.

My question is, do you see any fairness/balance problems with letting someone take a few class levels scattered amongst the monster ones?

Henrix

Explorer
That would depend on exactly what monster we are talking about, actually.
For most I would probably not have a problem with it, but I think there are some I would not allow.

Darklone

Take a look at the minotaur class... it's not that weak by itself. Now if you allow a player to start as a minotaur and take one level of barbarian at level2...

Is this stronger than a minotaur4? yes sure.

Skinwalker

First Post
For me, it'd be more about the player. The more munchkin (roll-player) he is, the more hardline I would be about the rules. The more story-driven (role-player) he is, the more flexible I would be.

I had one player who refused a Helm of Brilliance because it would give his character "Helmet Hair." Him, I'd let get away with a *lot*, because I knew his intention was not to abuse what was given to him, but to have fun developing a character and advance the story line of the campaign.

Bottom line, if in the long run you think it will hurt the campaign or make any of the other players discontented, don't allow the rules modification. If you think it will enhance the campaign and the other players don't mind, give it a try. If you do try it, I'd recommend you first let the player know that this rules modification is being tested, and that if it causes problems he'll have to make changes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads