• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multible Misty Step - All at once...

Iron Dog

Explorer
Sorry if this question has been done to death before, I would be asking this question to wotcs customer support but the links seem to be dead from my end and I’m sure that this question would have been ask of them before. . Can anybody point me to any official ruling concerning the misty step warlock ability with regard to; even tho when an enemy that is cursed is reduced to 0 hit points that the warlock receives a free action teleport, that does state that when more that one creature (that is cursed) is reduced to 0 hit point at the same time (i.e. from an AOE), then the warlock gets the so called number (more than one) free actions teleports all together as a single teleport as a single action all at once. It makes sense to me that even tho you can do numerous free actions in or out of your turn, you cannot take numerous free actions as a single free action, but I do see merit for allowing it as the warlock did spend all those minor actions to curse the targets in the first place... well all I can say is that I'm a little perplex as to which way to swing this one.

keterys

First Post
No, they're separate free actions. But you still get to take all of them. So, if it's teleport 3 and 4 guys die, you can teleport 12 squares.

Iron Dog

Explorer
No, they're separate free actions. But you still get to take all of them. So, if it's teleport 3 and 4 guys die, you can teleport 12 squares.

If it be the case that they are considered separate actions as to your statement then should it not be 12 squares but 3x3x3x3 (ie 4 teleports of 3 instead of 1 teleport of 12)?

Also as to your example, is this your ruling as you see it or have you been inform this via some offical chanel?

keterys

First Post
It's 4 teleports of 3 each, for a total of 12 squares. So, for example, if you have 8 squares in a row of of 'take 10 damage if you enter this' the person can't just avoid it.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
It seems fine until you hit Paragon and it can make minions (even more of) a non-factor.

Our warlock in our game was fey pact for almost our entire campaign (until level 16 when our DM gave us rebuilds after a year of hiatus).

Slashing Wake, one of the Feytouched Paragon Path's level 11 features lets you do your Int in damage to every adjacent enemy every time you teleport.

With the combination of a Rod of Contagion, Slashing Wake, the Fey Boon teleport, and several waves of tightly packed minions, our warlock managed to kill 9 minions the first round, 20 the second, and 27 the third (out of waves of 10, 20, and 30) since each teleport killed more Contagion-cursed minions and gave more teleports.

Our DM house-ruled damage against minions at this point (only rolled damage affected minions). The problem has gone away since the warlock rebuilt at 16 to a Star/Infernal Student of Caiphon, but our DM was... less than happy at the warlock killing 56 minions in three rounds using pretty much nothing but free actions.

Iron Dog

Explorer
Thanks for the input guys; I’m still a little indecisive in how to swing it. I might just go with it else I hear otherwise of an official word from on high. :)

Turtlejay

First Post
It seems fine until you hit Paragon and it can make minions (even more of) a non-factor.

Our warlock in our game was fey pact for almost our entire campaign (until level 16 when our DM gave us rebuilds after a year of hiatus).

Slashing Wake, one of the Feytouched Paragon Path's level 11 features lets you do your Int in damage to every adjacent enemy every time you teleport.

With the combination of a Rod of Contagion, Slashing Wake, the Fey Boon teleport, and several waves of tightly packed minions, our warlock managed to kill 9 minions the first round, 20 the second, and 27 the third (out of waves of 10, 20, and 30) since each teleport killed more Contagion-cursed minions and gave more teleports.

Our DM house-ruled damage against minions at this point (only rolled damage affected minions). The problem has gone away since the warlock rebuilt at 16 to a Star/Infernal Student of Caiphon, but our DM was... less than happy at the warlock killing 56 minions in three rounds using pretty much nothing but free actions.

Really? Because that sounds really, really cool to me. And I bet the Warlock's player had a blast doing it, too. If Nightcrawler had your DM, he'd probably quit and join my game.

The lesson to be learned here is not that the mechanic is problematic, but that bunched minions are so much more vulnerable to this kind of controller effect. This example is a great illustration of why folks consider Warlocks to be Controller secondary. They can be awesome minion killers, if their DM's either 1) let them, or 2) aren't paying attention to what kind of devastation they are capable of.

Jay

keterys

First Post
A lot of that tactic requires taking actions in a certain order, too, so if the DM really wanted to he could just have the teleport have to trigger before the curse spreads (as they both have the exact same trigger) or declare a cap on the number of free action teleports you can take in one turn or free actions of any kind you can take as a result of a single action. All of that is pretty much DM's prerogative.

But I have to assume those minions were pretty bunched up, since you have to be able to kill two at once to get a teleport off while also triggering corruption... and the twenty-seven in one go must have been a bit hilarious in a Checkers kinda way.

I try to make sure that minions always have _something_ going on so they're not completely wasted, whether it's a deathburst or deathcurse, or immediate action, or ranged attacks so they can stay spread out. I use minions all the time with a feytouched warlock and it generally works fine.

Remove ads