• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

multiclass and max skill rank

hoyerhan

First Post
I have a 5th level wizard (no ranks in move silently). When she gains a new level, she will take a rogue level. My question is: how many ranks can she use in move silently? Rogue 1st max =4, total level max= 9 or the maxed out for all classes 4 (rogue)+5/2 (wizard cross-class skill) = 6,5?

Or something else? Please explain.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Unless the skill is an Exclusive skill (and Move Silently isn't), if it is a Class Skill for any of your classes, your max rank is character level +3.

You can dump 9 skill points into Move Silently with your rogue level if you want.

-Hyp.

rhammer2

First Post
It is your character level + 3 except for exclusive skills. For exclusive skills it is the sum of class levels that allow the skill + 3.

IMC we house rule it to character level + 3 for all skills.

hoyerhan said:
I have a 5th level wizard (no ranks in move silently). When she gains a new level, she will take a rogue level. My question is: how many ranks can she use in move silently? Rogue 1st max =4, total level max= 9 or the maxed out for all classes 4 (rogue)+5/2 (wizard cross-class skill) = 6,5?

Or something else? Please explain.

Where are you guys getting this "character level" business?

I will have to check it, but I thought it was just class level +3. So, your first level wizard could only take four ranks in move silently upon taking a level as a rogue. If you think about it, this only makes sense. If it were character level, then a 7th level wizard could take one level as a rogue and suddenly have anywhere from 8-13 ranks in move silently--ridiculous!

Like I said, I'll have to check though.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...

From the PHB...

I will have to check it, but I thought it was just class level +3.

For Exclusive skills, yes. Non-exclusive skills are considered class skills for the purpose of calculating maximum rank if it's a class skill for any of your classes. You still pay cross-class prices if you purchase ranks in Move Silently with Wizard skill points, but your max rank is Character Level +3.

If it were character level, then a 7th level wizard could take one level as a rogue and suddenly have anywhere from 8-13 ranks in move silently.

8 to 11 ranks. A Wiz7/Rog1 has a Max Rank in Move Silently of CL+3, which is 11.

Do that and get back to us :)

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
candidus_cogitens said:

PHb p22 ... Class Skill Max Ranks ...to left, first sentence of section.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Re: Re: multiclass and max skill rank

rhammer2 said:
It is your character level + 3 except for exclusive skills. For exclusive skills it is the sum of class levels that allow the skill + 3.

IMC we house rule it to character level + 3 for all skills.

Ok. I looked on p. 22 of the PHB, and pages 58-60. I must be overlooking this special rule for exclusive skills. Can you point it out to me?

[edit]
Forget it. I found it on page 56, under "skills" (left hand column, at the top).

Last edited:

Remove ads