• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiclass Healing

Balesir

Adventurer
I'm not sure it is, actually, since one of the prerequisites for the feat is "the Inspiring Word encounter power"; if you have it as a Daily power I wouldn't necessarily see that as meeting the prerequisite.

Ferghis

First Post
I'm not sure it is, actually, since one of the prerequisites for the feat is "the Inspiring Word encounter power"; if you have it as a Daily power I wouldn't necessarily see that as meeting the prerequisite.
Even being technical, this argument can go both ways, since the multiclass feat gets you the encounter power as a daily power, and therefore it wouldn't be difficult to argue that you have that encounter power (except that, for that character, it's a daily power).

However you come out on the language, this is one of those things that DMs should just rule in the players' favor. Feats might be the scarcest character-building resource in the game, and if a player wants to use them to gain another class' powers, being stingy about it is just not worth it.

Dice4Hire

First Post

I have never seen the Inspiring word power as a daily. What book is int in?

The Multiclass just gives you an encounter power you can only use once per day.

Like at 16th level you get an encounter power you can use twice an encounter.

Though the intent of that line in the feat is probably to disallow the feat to those who get IW via multiclass, I would have to agree.

But I would let a character take it, no problem.

Arctic Wolf

First Post

The Multiclass just gives you an encounter power you can only use once per day.

Like at 16th level you get an encounter power you can use twice an encounter.

Though the intent of that line in the feat is probably to disallow the feat to those who get IW via multiclass, I would have to agree.

But I would let a character take it, no problem.

PH1 page 208 for inspiring word as a daily:
Student of Battle​
[Multiclass Warlord]​
Prerequisite:​
Str 13

Benefit:​
You gain training in one skill from the
warlord’s class skill list.
Once per day, you can use the warlord’s
inspiring

word
power.

It is letting you use the encounter power as a daily power. Just like how some multiclass feats let you use at-wills as encounter powers or I am thinking of the half-elf.

Balesir

Adventurer
Even being technical, this argument can go both ways, since the multiclass feat gets you the encounter power as a daily power, and therefore it wouldn't be difficult to argue that you have that encounter power (except that, for that character, it's a daily power).

However you come out on the language, this is one of those things that DMs should just rule in the players' favor. Feats might be the scarcest character-building resource in the game, and if a player wants to use them to gain another class' powers, being stingy about it is just not worth it.
Sure - I started out my post "I'm not sure..." for just this reason. It's not something I've had any player try to do, so I'm not sure how it would be interpreted in the games I run, but it doesn't strike me as a "cut and dried" thing.

If you want to be that picky, you can see it by using the character builder; take a multi-class and the "XXX Word" power comes out as a card for a Daily, not an Encounter power.

But, as I said in response to Ferghis, above, I don't think it's a done deal either way - just something to be decided table-by-table. I don't like that kind of rule for D&D, personally, but it's enough of a corner case that I can't get too excited about it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads