• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E multiclass (prestige) subclasses.

Something I have been thinking about for a while is if there is a way to make the classes of multi class characters integrate better.
In 3.X there where a number of prestige classes that helped with combining abilities from diferent classes and it made me think.

Would it be A idea to have something simular in 5th edition.
Where you would go for example fighter 2 / wizard 2, at this point you would qualify for a multi class subclass for example bladesinger.
If you chose bladesinger it means you don't pick subclasses for the fighter or wizards as you level up further, instead you gain benefits from the bladesinger subclass based on your combined fighter and wizard levels.

I know this would not work as well for classes that get their subclass at lvl 1 but there might be interesting things you could do with it.

DocSharpe

Explorer
I think you're right that things would get complicated quickly because some classes get their subclass at level 1 and 2 (even in the example you've chosen, your wizard has chosen a school). Also, what would happen if the player decided after taking three levels of Bladesinger that they want to take that third level of fighter? Unless you're going to include a restriction that the entry classes are now "locked" (which would be a brand new mechanic)...there's nothing stopping them.

What might work better is to consider creating new subclasses, as these seem to be the mechanic which is closest to 3.5s prestige classes. In your bladesinger example, you might base it off of wizard and at second level, they choose to become a bladesinger instead of choosing a school. You could give them subclass features such as martial weapons / medium armor, and a hp bonus similar to the Hill Dwarf, but specific to the wizard levels. This is the approach we're trying with a player in my game who really wants to resurrect his old swordmage.

I think you're right that things would get complicated quickly because some classes get their subclass at level 1 and 2 (even in the example you've chosen, your wizard has chosen a school). Also, what would happen if the player decided after taking three levels of Bladesinger that they want to take that third level of fighter? Unless you're going to include a restriction that the entry classes are now "locked" (which would be a brand new mechanic)...there's nothing stopping them.

What might work better is to consider creating new subclasses, as these seem to be the mechanic which is closest to 3.5s prestige classes. In your bladesinger example, you might base it off of wizard and at second level, they choose to become a bladesinger instead of choosing a school. You could give them subclass features such as martial weapons / medium armor, and a hp bonus similar to the Hill Dwarf, but specific to the wizard levels. This is the approach we're trying with a player in my game who really wants to resurrect his old swordmage.

oops did it from memory and don't often play wizards so asumed he got his school at 3rd.
there are lo levels of bladesinger, bladesinger would just say you use bladesinger as your subclass and do not pick a subclass for fighter or wizard.

As designed all subclasses assume you will be a single class character.
So at this point you would not see a fighter prestige class that gives you extra options when you spend spell slots (while the subclass itselve doesen't give you spellslopts)
A subclass that would be designed keeping in mind that it is intended for a dual class character might lead to better intigrationof the abilities of the both classes.

Barantor

Explorer
I will go to what I always think when I try to come up with something like this...

Will it nullify an existing class/feature/ability?

To me this nullifies archetypes. You could just make a bladesinger archetype that builds off of fighter or wizard in the same way as an eldritch knight does rather than have a new system for prestige classes?

I'm going by this: https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/True_Bladesinger_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)

Let's use fighter as the base, since the whole class of Bladesinger is kinda on the same vein as EK.

Fighter 3rd level:

Requirements: Elf only. (this is different and of course could be setting specific)

Bladesong: You can cast a spell that is normally an action as a bonus action instead. To do this you have to attack with a melee weapon and if the spell has a specific target then that target must be the same creature you attack with a melee attack. You can do this as many times indicated in the box. (equal to the amount of rages a barbarian gets per level). You get these uses back upon completing a long rest.

Spellcasting: When you reach 3rd level, you augment your martial prowess with the ability to cast spells.

Cantrips: You learn 2 cantrips of your choice from the sorcerer spell list.

Spell Slots: See Eldritch Knight spell slot/known chart.

Yadda-yadda, cast spells as a sorcerer, same DCs, same attack modifier, etc.

At this point I would try and meld sorcerer abilities at a lower amount into it's class level up scheme, making the sword the conduit for the somatic components. A lot of it is going to end up very similar to EK, which is why they probably didn't make this class to start with.

They would need something at 7th, 10th, 15th and 18th levels to stay on par with EK.

I really liked the idea of multiclass sub lasses I brought it up when the books first came out...bladsinger swashbuckler and mystic theurgewere my examples... You could be a fighter blaxsinger or a wizard bladslinger or a fighter/wizard bladsinger....I have to go find my old notes

Barantor

Explorer
I really liked the idea of multiclass sub lasses I brought it up when the books first came out...bladsinger swashbuckler and mystic theurgewere my examples... You could be a fighter blaxsinger or a wizard bladslinger or a fighter/wizard bladsinger....I have to go find my old notes

Did you see they made Swashbuckler into a Rogue archetype? I think it is a really well done one.
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-waterborne-adventures

I like not having to worry about multi-classing for these now, it is just a branch of a main class. Sometimes it is harder to determine which base class it should be off of, but in some cases that ends up making ideas for two distinct ones with different flavor.

Did you see they made Swashbuckler into a Rogue archetype? I think it is a really well done one.
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-waterborne-adventures

I like not having to worry about multi-classing for these now, it is just a branch of a main class. Sometimes it is harder to determine which base class it should be off of, but in some cases that ends up making ideas for two distinct ones with different flavor.

Yea I think that was one of the top 3 unearthed arcanas...but when I wrote my thing up it was long before that...it was more like 1 subclass that had rules for multi classes so you could tale it as either or both....

Remove ads