• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiclass synergies

Asmor

First Post
Here's an untitled tool designed to help you find synergistic multiclassing in 4th edition. It takes into account which weapons/implements are used by the classes and what stats are important to them. It rates them on a scale from 0 (no synergy at all) to 5 (ideal match, meaning the classes share a primary and secondary ability and an implement/weapon).

Worth noting that for the weapons I didn't actually list all of them, just the ones which could be used as implements. It's all good, though, there are enough of them and enough variety that any weapon-using classes will show up as matching in that respect.

Tested to work in Firefox and Internet Explorer. If you like it you can save it to your local computer for offline use. Just press control+s. It's all javascript, all self-contained.

Multiclassing synergy thingamobob

With 18 classes, there are over 300 potential multiclass combinations. Hopefully this will help you find some cool synergies you hadn't thought of or noticed before.

Goumindong

First Post
You should also take into account how well attributes scale. E.G. All of the bard powers are Arcane, so a sorcerer gains his damage bonus on every one.

Ditto Sorcerer/anyone with large amounts of sustainable continuing damage(such as a wizard)

fissionessence

First Post
This is a pretty cool tool; I just spent a few minutes looking around for inspiration . . .

but why is Warlock[vertical]/Invoker[horizontal] a moderate match, while Invoker[vertical]/Warlock[horizontal] an ideal match? They both even have the same text for why they're that type of match.

There are other combinations like that as well, like Cleric/Bard, but I didn't look around for them.

~

durinstorm

First Post
This is a pretty cool tool; I just spent a few minutes looking around for inspiration . . .

but why is Warlock[vertical]/Invoker[horizontal] a moderate match, while Invoker[vertical]/Warlock[horizontal] an ideal match? They both even have the same text for why they're that type of match.

There are other combinations like that as well, like Cleric/Bard, but I didn't look around for them.

~

Looks like the row is the main class and the columns are the secondary classes... so it's looking for things in the secondary class that match the primary? The invoker doesn't have a primary that matches the warlock, but the warlock's con matches the invoker's secondary ability.

The text at the bottom explains the scoring.

Asmor

First Post
You should also take into account how well attributes scale. E.G. All of the bard powers are Arcane, so a sorcerer gains his damage bonus on every one.

Ditto Sorcerer/anyone with large amounts of sustainable continuing damage(such as a wizard)

Too sophisticated for this. Like I said, there are over 300 possible multiclasses, and I don't feel like going in and arbitrarily trying to judge how well the class features interact with each other.

Looks like the row is the main class and the columns are the secondary classes... so it's looking for things in the secondary class that match the primary? The invoker doesn't have a primary that matches the warlock, but the warlock's con matches the invoker's secondary ability.

The text at the bottom explains the scoring.

Precisely. My reasoning is this:

1. You will base your ability scores on your main class.
2. It is most important that one of your multiclass's primary abilities matches up with any of your main class's abilities.

Thus while X/y and Y/x will always have the same list of 'compatibilities,' their score might differ by up to 2.

Take a look at Bard and Swordmage. Bard/swordmage is a great synergy, but Swordmage/bard is a weak one. (It would have been ideal/moderate, except that the only implement which both can use is a spellblade, severely limiting your options)

Con and Int are both secondary abilities for a bard, meaning you likely have a respectable score in either depending on your build. Thus, if you multi into swordmage, the swordmage's int-based attack powers won't take a huge penalty to attack rolls.

On the other hand, if you're playing a Swordmage/bard, the swordmage does not want charisma at all. This is a problem, since all the bard's powers are cha-based, so they'll take a significant penalty to attack rolls.

ravenheart

Explorer
Interesting. It appears Fighters would provide the best synergies, both as the main aswell as the secondary class. Who would have known?

Asmor

First Post
Interesting. It appears Fighters would provide the best synergies, both as the main aswell as the secondary class. Who would have known?

Well, it makes sense. Rangers are pretty good, too. And what they both have in common are common ability scores and the ability to use a wide variety of weapons effectively, which is helpful because there are actually very few classes which can't use any kind of weapon as an implement.

In fact, there's only one class which can not use a weapon as an implement-- the shaman. Other classes are restricted, but do have the option (notably, the wizard, artificer and invoker can only use staves).

Add to that the fact that the fighter has one primary and THREE secondary scores and it's not hard at all to see why it's such a good class for multiclassing.

Terramotus

First Post
I think, perhaps, that you should weight sharing of the primary stat a bit more heavily than having a primary stat be a secondary stat of another class, especially considering that, depending on the build, the secondary stat might not get much use.

Getting double duty out of intelligence for a swordmage/wizard cross, even not considering the helpful feats and paragon paths, grants a lot more milage than, say, a cross with a sorcerer, for whom strength is both secondary, given the limited number of stat points available.

Or, from another perspective, does the Avenger really make a vastly better multiclass option for a wizard than a swordmage, just because avengers can use staves and they have related secondary/primary pairings?

Asmor

First Post
I think, perhaps, that you should weight sharing of the primary stat a bit more heavily than having a primary stat be a secondary stat of another class, especially considering that, depending on the build, the secondary stat might not get much use.

Getting double duty out of intelligence for a swordmage/wizard cross, even not considering the helpful feats and paragon paths, grants a lot more milage than, say, a cross with a sorcerer, for whom strength is both secondary, given the limited number of stat points available.

Or, from another perspective, does the Avenger really make a vastly better multiclass option for a wizard than a swordmage, just because avengers can use staves and they have related secondary/primary pairings?

I can see your point, but I think it's a matter of opinion. Frankly, yes, I do think an avenger makes a better multiclass option for a wizard than a swordmage.

Timba

First Post
Warlock/sorcerer is very underrated and warlock/bard is very overrated.
A warlock gain almost nothing from bard powers, but gain much more from sorcerrr's minnion killer blast powers that boost his/her curse boon. These blasts also help him/her if he/she need to fight in close combat.

Last edited:

Remove ads