• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiclass Warlocks and Pacts

DanChops

First Post
The situation: Suppose a character takes the Pact initiate feat and a subsequent power swap feat. Now let's suppose that the character chooses to take a warlock power that has additional affects for a warlocks of the pact the character chose when taking the Pact Initiate feat. (For example, say the character chose Infernal as his pact when taking the feat, and took the power swap feat to gain access to Vampric Embrace.)

My reading of the RAW is that the Pact Initiate feat doesn't actually give you the pact of your choice. As such, our example character wouldn't be able to add his Intelligence modifier to the hit points gained from Vampric Embrace.

However, I'm wondering if it would be horrible unbalanced to allow it anyway. It doesn't seem like your average character taking Pact Initiate will have significantly high Intelligence scores anyway, so we're probably talking about 2 or 3 points at most.

On the other hand, I don't to discourage characters with low intelligence from taking Pact Initiate. For example, suppose someone wanted to play a Nature's Protector sort of a character (kind of a Druid without the shape-shifting and pets) and decided to go for Paladin of Corellon (focused on Charisma) multiclassed into Fey-lock. It wouldn't be hard to envision such a character wanting to put their 8 into Intelligence. If they did, I wouldn't want them to, for example, get a -1 modifier to the attack role when they use Eldritch Rain.

Proposed Rule: When you take Pact Initiate, you are considered to be a member of the chosen pact for purposes of bonuses to certain warlock powers if your Intelligence modifier is positive.

Or something like that.

What do you think? Is it balanced? Does it add too much to the Pact Initiate feat? Should negative intelligence modifiers be taken into consideration?

Remove ads