• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiclassed spell casters.

JDJblatherings

First Post
Here is my current notion(s) on how to deal with multiclassed spell casters.

Give each spell casting class (and magical classes that aren't strictly spell casters) a Magical Power rating. Wizards 1 per 1 with level, Clerics 1 per 1 with level. Prestige class with +1 exsting level instead give a bonus of +1 magical power.

Spell casting is accroding to ones total Magical Power. So it isn't level 3 with 2 1st level spells and a 2nd level spell but Magical Power 3 with two 1st level spells and a 2nd level spell. When castign a spell it isn't by class levels but by magcial power. characters get bonus spells with ability scores if classes use different spell casting stats.

So Wiz 9, Cleric 1 is magical power 10 with appropriate bonus spells for high INT and High Wis. (not to mention domains).The bonus spells can only ne chosen from the appopriate spell lists realted to each class. All other spells are selceted from any lists open to the character accordign to what classes they have and what Magical Power they have.
So yes a Wiz 9/cleric 1 does have access to 1st to 5th level clerical spells in additon to 1st to 5th level wizard spells but doesn't gain a much larger number of spells, beyond bonus spells, because they have multiple classes. They do of course get the benefit of having 10 levels of spell casting as reflected by using magical power.

Whereever the rules say "caster level"...replace with "magical power".

You only get free spells for gaining a class level (not magical power) so classes that must learn spells still have to go out and get spells to fill lists.

Sorcerors might be unusable with this sytem, dunno haven't tried it yet. One could represent magcial power with a spells ready and spell castable list similar to the sorceror, in which cas traditonal wizards may be meaningless.

one could even given nonspell casting classes a little bit of "magical power" that doesn't grant those classes any spell castign abiltiy until the character multiclasses with a spellcasting class. ex :rogues with +1 magcial power every 4 levels. A 12th level rogue has a Magical Power of 3 but doesn't know how to cast any spells. That character picks up a level of wizard and now is able to cast spells at Magical Power 4.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The one thing I'd change about both systems would be to give Rogues a "medium" progression, because they get Use Magic Device, and thus some affinity with magic.

Cheers, -- N

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Something I thought of when I looked at that:

Where it says:
the GM wants to discourage multiclassing between classes with very different spell selection, he can rule that magic ratings from arcane spellcasting classes (bard, sorcerer, and wizard) don’t stack with magic ratings from divine spellcasting classes (cleric, druid, paladin, and ranger). (Magic ratings from nonspellcasting classes—barbarian, fighter, monk, and rogue—stack with all other magic ratings.)
I would say that levels in an arcane class count as 'C' to divine caster levels and levels in a divine class count as 'C' for arcane caster levels. Maybe 'B' for both. Why would a wizard/fighter know more about wizardry than a wizard/cleric?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Kmart Kommando said:
I would say that levels in an arcane class count as 'C' to divine caster levels and levels in a divine class count as 'C' for arcane caster levels. Maybe 'B' for both. Why would a wizard/fighter know more about wizardry than a wizard/cleric?
Why not? It's a design tool.

If a GM wants a setting where arcane and divine magic are antithetical, he can use this to model that.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads