• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiclassing into Beasmaster Ranger

Webby140

First Post
Would there be any way to multiclass into the new beastmaster ranger?

Would any DM allow a modification to the multiclassing feat, so instead of gaining the Hunter's Quarry 1/encounter class feature, they gain a beast companion but without any of the powers? So you could use it to move, flank and attack with melee basic, but wouldn't be able to use powers from the ranger build until the character took more encounter powers using more feats when gained?

Purely hypothetical... The PHB doesn't look like you could do this, so I guess I'm asking, would anyone allow this?

I'd consider it, but would need to look into it more.

DracoSuave

First Post
They'd have to give up a bit more than just Almost Hunter's Quarry. Beast Mastery costs Prime Shot as well as a feat, so to balance out, a multiclass would have to cost a class feature + a feat + the feat to take it in the first place, as opposed to a fraction of a class feature + the feat to take it.

A beastmaster non-ranger would probably be better served with a paragon path that granted a beast companion. Either that, or a Paragon level feat would be appropriate for this level of multiclassedness.

CapnZapp

Legend
My initial reaction is "if you allow it, don't gimp the bear".

That is, increase the costs (perhaps according to Draco's suggestions) instead of making the beast sub-par.

I'm reasoning that if the beast isn't as strong as for a real Beastmaster, I don't want it around...

Remove ads