• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiclassing Mania

BluWolf

Explorer
I think multiclassing in 3E is great for enabling some pretty cool character concepts, but doing it too much can definately bite you in the ass.

In my campaign I don't use favored class or differing level penalties. It hasn't been a problem because none of my players are power gamers.

thundershot

Adventurer
Multiclassing used for frustrate me, but now in 3E, I encourage it in all of my players. It's a trade off. You trade power for flavor and versitility. One particular character is hilarious... She started as an Aristocrat (daughter of a noble), and then became a Rogue, Cleric, Psion, Sorcerer, Fighter, and now Druid. She sucks in combat, but she's got so many layers to her, and a reason for each change, it's great! Her plan right now is to remain a Druid for a few levels until she qualifies for the Shifter PrC, which represents her ever-changing nature. Nifty, eh?

Chris

fuindordm

Adventurer
MeepoTheMighty said:

Huh? Wizards have never been able to wear armor

They've never been proficient in armor, but in 1st edition a multiclassed wizard could wear whatever their other class could with no penalties.

--Ben

Ace

Adventurer
BiggusGeekus said:
I've heard of some people going wild and multi-classing three or four classes. In the long run, that hurts.

That being said, the fighter and rogue multi-class very well, IMHO.

My favorite yet to be played combo

Tiefling
Fighter 4
Rogue 5
Duelist 10

Fighter/Rogue is IMO the best combo for logic and balance and I never discourage the combo.

I don't as a habit multi a lot but I have a couple of favorites Barbarian2/Bard x is a wonderfull support character and I have a non cheesey Ranger1/Cleric x-- .

He qualifies as Non Cheesey simply because he is a travelling protector and his backstory bails him out.

Frankly I got rather good use out of the Archery stuff and the tracking and stealth. It makes for a rather unique Cleric with only a little spell power loss.

Last edited:

dogchild

First Post
Duncan Haldane said:

I'd just like to point out that with a single level of Cleric, Druid, Ranger, Bard or Paladin a character can use a "cleric on a stick" - ie, a wand of cure light wounds.

For a party around 5th level who can afford to buy such things this can be really useful.

Duncan

I was wondering about this very issue... I'm playing a 3rd level Paladin who has (by default) become the healer of the group (a 2 Fighter, 3 Sorcerer, and 3 Rogue). At 4, since I have a +1 for WIS, could I use this wand, or no? We're running through potions like mad, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to "lose some character focus" to pick up some healing powers as a cleric. Opinions?

(BTW: The group started with a Paladin and a Rogue--it was the right choice for balance at the time...)

d/c

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads