• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Multiclassing stat requirements

Minsc

Explorer
Good morning all.

I'm curious about the minimum stat requirements for multiclassing in 5e.

Let's say you start with a barbarian with a STR under 13. If he puts on Gauntlets of Ogre Power, can he multiclass?

Thanks.

Li Shenron

Legend
For what it's worth, I wouldn't let temporary bonuses/abilities to qualify for anything permanent, ever.

That's just going to open a can of worms if you do, because temporary stuff is by definition going to change, and then you'll be left with questions about the validity of what you're left with, or possibly even stuff that just can't work anymore without the original requirement.

That said, those requirements are a pointless and nearly useless addition to the game, so if you have players who start looking for shortcuts to bypass the requirements, consider how much they really add to your game. If you think they are useful, enforce them and don't let temporary bonuses bypass them, if you think they are useless, ignore them altogether.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Well, honestly that was my first and one houserule, doing away with multiclass stat requirements. They were put only to placate people who are actively against multiclassing. Cause obviously a rogue/paladin with negative charisma and strength is very broken

Li Shenron

Legend
Well, honestly that was my first and one houserule, doing away with multiclass stat requirements. They were put only to placate people who are actively against multiclassing. Cause obviously a rogue/paladin with negative charisma and strength is very broken

Exactly. The restriction prevents some of the weakest possible multiclass characters to be made, not some of the strongest. Which now that I think about it, it's not completely pointless (it can be seen as an aid to avoid bad choices) but to me it's still better not to have such restriction, so that a brave player who wants to try a PC with some low stats does not feel like it's "forbidden". The fact that the restriction will kick in rarely doesn't justify it IMHO, it makes it actually even less needed in the game.

So to better phrase my previous post, my suggestion is twofold:

- don't generally allow temporary bonuses/abilities to fulfill requirements to permanent features

- in the specific case of multiclassing restriction, consider to ignore them completely, unless there is a specific reason for you to enforce them

delericho

Legend
For what it's worth, I wouldn't let temporary bonuses/abilities to qualify for anything permanent, ever.

That's just going to open a can of worms if you do, because temporary stuff is by definition going to change, and then you'll be left with questions about the validity of what you're left with, or possibly even stuff that just can't work anymore without the original requirement.

That said, those requirements are a pointless and nearly useless addition to the game, so if you have players who start looking for shortcuts to bypass the requirements, consider how much they really add to your game. If you think they are useful, enforce them and don't let temporary bonuses bypass them, if you think they are useless, ignore them altogether.

This. Agreed on all points.

CapnZapp

Legend
Yes it's an aid to avoid bad choices.

But also, it's there to prevent certain dipping where you pick a class for a certain feature that by itself doesn't need that class' "prime requisite".

If there are any truly broken MC combos that this rule alone prevents, I haven't read about them, but they certainly could appear.

I would probably keep minimum stats, and then make exceptions on individual baseis after checking nothing funny is going on...

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
It does, bizarrely, prevent an otherwise perfectly effective dex based paladin from multiclassing.

I don't think it's a useful guard in any way really.

Cernor

Explorer
Assuming point buy (or standard array), the reason for enforcing the minimum requirements could be that if you want to multiclass, you have to invest something at character creation with the goal of multiclassing in mind. If you're a fighter and decide to MC wizard, that's 5 points you won't be spending elsewhere... Even if you exclusively use spells without attack rolls or saves, and your Int score is otherwise unimportant. And if you're rolling, the limitation tends to become trivial anyway.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
But also, it's there to prevent certain dipping where you pick a class for a certain feature that by itself doesn't need that class' "prime requisite".

I feel this is the main reason for the restrictions: a 1-level dip into Cleric, Fighter, or Rogue is pretty effective for many builds, and this rightly requires some minimum investment

It does, bizarrely, prevent an otherwise perfectly effective dex based paladin from multiclassing.

I would say it sensibly requires a dex-based Paladin to have a minimum of 13 strength (required to use many heavy armours properly in any case) if they are going to multi class.

Remove ads