• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiple Alchemical Items

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Sejs said:
I'd say the damage wouldn't stack with itself. You're not any more on fire. .. you're just.. on fire.
I would say triple the damage - one bottle can't coat you completely.

No, you're not MORE on fire... but more OF YOU is on fire. :)

--The Sigil

Shin Okada

Explorer
You cannot just grab throw 3 bottles of alchemist's fire simultaneously. Each vials are separate weapons. You must use 3 attacks.

If you are to make a big 3 pounds bottle of alchemist's fire, that thing may have different stats. Maybe applying weapon size advancement (1d6 becomes 1d8)? And/Or that fire may lasts slightly longer. But a DM may say that it is hard to brew and pour that amount of Alchemist's fire into a bottle under current alchemical technology. Or just say that bottle is too big to be thrown effectively.

Well, some may say a 3 pounds bottle of Alchemist's fire should be equally effective as 3 bottles. But I say not. When I was a young boy, I used to throw a lot of water balloons (small balloon which can be filled with water and easy to break when thrown and hit something). And thus I know how 3 hits from small balloons are more devastating than a hit from one big balloon.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You cannot just grab throw 3 bottles of alchemist's fire simultaneously. Each vials are separate weapons. You must use 3 attacks.

I must admit, I simply assumed that was what he meant by "fling a trio" - use three iterative ranged attacks.

-Hyp.

maybeso

First Post
better cap it at 20d6, the same damage as submerged in lava.

I have no problem with 1d6 per attack, I would be happer with a better method if you throw a bigger bottle of the stuff, but I don't have one. If you use fabricate or major creaton to make 10 cubic feet of the stuff that's 598.4 pints! ick.

As I recall one of the rules for oil in 1e or 2e was each time you doubled the oil you added a d6 of damage and you got 1/2 the damage each following round until you were down to 1d6.
It could have been a house rule, I'm way to lazy to try to find it.

Destil

Explorer
maybeso said:
better cap it at 20d6, the same damage as submerged in lava.

I have no problem with 1d6 per attack, I would be happer with a better method if you throw a bigger bottle of the stuff, but I don't have one. If you use fabricate or major creaton to make 10 cubic feet of the stuff that's 598.4 pints! ick.

As I recall one of the rules for oil in 1e or 2e was each time you doubled the oil you added a d6 of damage and you got 1/2 the damage each following round until you were down to 1d6.
It could have been a house rule, I'm way to lazy to try to find it.
Personaly, I'd limit it to 10d6 or 15d6, myself. I just don't think you can coat someoen so fully with them to be treated as sumbmerged, there will just be too much run-off...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads