• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiple attacks and readying weapons - I am kinda lost...

Dr_Sage

First Post
Good afternoon folks!

I was DMing for my college friends and some doubts appeared:

Our ranger is a dwarf melee focused one, and he had chosen the crossbow as his ranged weapon (we know he could use the longbow, but he choose not to for roleplay and flavor).

1) Can he twin strike with the crossbow? I don't think we can sneak in a minor action between the shots (to reload the weapon). Another way of seeing this is imagining that reload weapon is part of the double attack. Not shure.

2) By the same tolken, can he twin strike with javelins?

- Grab a javelin - minor
- twin strike first attack
- grab another - opooops!

3) If he were a rogue using blinding barrage? Could he use the hand crossbow to attack 4 targets without the need of reloading it? Same with shuriken?

4) Jeez, to furter complicate this: if a ranger uses twin strike with a bow (load free), isn't he using a free acion in the middle of a standard acion?

For now he got quickdraw, but I am not shure about all this... rullings?:-S
I like to be fair so I am here seeking information.

Last edited:

Dalzig

First Post
1) Can he twin strike with the crossbow? I don't think we can sneak in a minor action between the shots (to reload the weapon). Another way of seeing this is imagining that reload weapon is part of the double attack. Not shure.
Yes. The load property allows for multi-attack powers. PH1 217.
2) By the same tolken, can he twin strike with javelins?

- Grab a javelin - minor
- twin strike first attack
- grab another - opooops!
Only if he has Quickdraw.
3) If he were a rogue using blinding barrage? Could he use the hand crossbow to attack 4 targets without the need of reloading it? Same with shuriken?
Crossbow: yes. Shuriken would probably require Quickdraw.
4) Jeez, to furter complicate this: if a ranger uses twin strike with a bow (load free), isn't he using a free acion in the middle of a standard acion?
Again, the load action takes care of it. Also, you can use a free action at any time.

Dr_Sage

First Post
"If a power allows you to hit multiple targets, the additional load time is accounted for in the power."

A bit weird in the case of the load minor weapon with blinding barrage/twin strike. I have to spend a minor to load it once, but the other ones are free.

Thank you very much.:cool:

Klaus

First Post
"If a power allows you to hit multiple targets, the additional load time is accounted for in the power."

A bit weird in the case of the load minor weapon with blinding barrage/twin strike. I have to spend a minor to load it once, but the other ones are free.

Thank you very much.:cool:
Basically, powers break the rules.

Here's a better question: can a rogue or ranger use Twin Strike or Blinding Barrage with a single magic thrown weapon (since every magic thrown weapon automatically returns)?

renau1g

First Post
Foe Javelins he can carry one in each hand to twin strike as well, no need to reload between strikes (but he'll need two actions next round to draw two more, unless they're magical)

renau1g

First Post

Here's a better question: can a rogue or ranger use Twin Strike or Blinding Barrage with a single magic thrown weapon (since every magic thrown weapon automatically returns)?

I would say yes. To me it doesn't seem that different than reaching into your belt, pulling out another shuriken and throwing it... but that's my two coppers.

Dalzig

First Post

According to the PH1 FAQ, you only need one magical thrown weapon for multi-attack powers.

Dr_Sage

First Post

Someone answered a while back that yes.

I will probably house rule this one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads