• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiple flamings on a weapon???

Drakeskull

First Post
Ok I have never even considered that fact that you could put multiple flamings or other damage dies on a weapon but then I look at that DnD stat side for the King Snurre and on his greatsword it says "+3 flamming (x3) greatsword" and up there on damage It says 3d6 fire. So it is possible to have multiple things such as flaming on a sword?

Sammael

Adventurer
You can't. If you could, you could also place multiple keen enhancements on a weapon, and that's clearly not the intent.

There are two possible reasons for King Snurre's stats: 1) He has a special artifact flaming weapon that's stronger than usual ones (I haven't played the G series modules, so I can't tell you for certain); or 2) The stat card is erroneous, as are most other D&D mini stat cards (on the RPG side).

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Man I wish you could have the same enchantment twice! You don't need a +2 sword, just get a +1 enchantment twice, half the price! Cool!

-Tatsu

FireLance

Legend
Tatsukun said:
Man I wish you could have the same enchantment twice! You don't need a +2 sword, just get a +1 enchantment twice, half the price! Cool!

-Tatsu
The irony of that statement is left as an exercise to the reader.

FireLance

Legend
But on-topic, I don't see the problem with multiple flaming enhancements, if you're willing to invest so much in a single energy type.

Orm

Explorer
Sammael said:
You can't. If you could, you could also place multiple keen enhancements on a weapon, and that's clearly not the intent.
And we all know that keen effects don´t stack. But you can put two different energy forms on a weapon. So what´s the problem with one energy form twice? As long as you have to activate them separately!

But wait
SRD said:
Flaming: Upon command, a flaming weapon is sheathed in fire. The fire does not harm the wielder. The effect remains until
another command is given.
So as soon as you activate the second power, the first ceases to work. So still only 1d6 extra damage. Am I getting something wrong?

There might be only one problem with flaming burst (x2) weapons dealing 4d10 instead of 2d10 extra damage or more with a better crit multiplier. And you don´t need to activate it. But it works only on a crit. Now we have at least a +5 weapon and in my opinion there are some better ways to spend an equivalent of +2 for additional 2 or 3d10 damage in limited situations.

Just my two cents
Orm

Orm said:
But waitSo as soon as you activate the second power, the first ceases to work. So still only 1d6 extra damage. Am I getting something wrong?

Yep. :)

The "other command" isn't to be read as "any other command," but specifically as "the command to deactivate the flame."

Yeah, it could be phrased differently. But by your interpretation, no weapon could have more than one energy type, because the command to activate one would turn off the other. And we've seen far too many weapons with multiple enhancements for me to believe that's what WotC intended.

Orm

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
The "other command" isn't to be read as "any other command," but specifically as "the command to deactivate the flame."

Yeah, it could be phrased differently.
I suppose there are at least two opinions on this point. We could debate for quite a while. So, as the RAW are not clear, let´s call it houserule or DM´s call.
Mouseferatu said:
But by your interpretation, no weapon could have more than one energy type, because the command to activate one would turn off the other. And we've seen far too many weapons with multiple enhancements for me to believe that's what WotC intended.
I´m not saying that it´s not possible to have more than one energy type on one weapon. It should be possible to make weapons like flaming+frost+whatever swords to deal with different energy resistances , though it might be cheaper to carry more weapons with fewer enhancements on each. But you should only be able to activate one energy type at any given time. Imaging a weapon sheathed in fire and ice. Despite the cool look, wouldn´t the effects compensate? And even if you can activate multiple enhancements at the same time, it takes one standard action to do so. The fight is over before you start.

Orm

vulcan_idic

Explorer
Orm said:
And even if you can activate multiple enhancements at the same time, it takes one standard action to do so. The fight is over before you start.

Orm

Unless you have them activated beforehand...

Orm said:
But you should only be able to activate one energy type at any given time. Imaging a weapon sheathed in fire and ice. Despite the cool look, wouldn´t the effects compensate?

Not neccesarily... in fact it is conceivable, though not neccesarily something you'd want to apply for game balance reasons, that they could have a synergistic effect - sudden temperature changes have a devastating effect on nearly all materials. cooling something hot suddenly very often shatters the object whether it be glass or stone - just from the temperature differential alone. The most important things to remember is that, one, due to magic you can have something which is simultaneously hot and cold in a way that mundane materials could not survive, and, two, these qualities make the item warm and cool - relating to the temperature of something that's been in the fridge for several minutes or sitting a bit near the fire for a bit - but extremes of HOT and COLD - like liquid nitrogen or a red hot item drawn from the depths of a forge... which through the miraculous nature of the magic involved does not harm the wielder of the weapon.

Orm

Explorer
Well then, let the magic happen. I still am of the opinion that there are better ways to spend money on a weapon than multiple energy enhancements. YMMV.
But it might be usefull when you a) know what monster you have to kill, b) this monster has vulnerability against the energy type you use and c) you have to overcome high DR.
And there´s still the phrase from the SRD:
Flaming: Upon command, a flaming weapon is sheathed in fire. The fire does not harm the wielder. The effect remains until another command is given.
I know that there were some threads concerning this but I don´t have the time to look it up right now and no access to the search function. So I don´t know what the predominant opinion here on the boards is.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads