• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiple Swift Actions

Pasus Nauran

First Post
I was wondering:

Is it possible to take more than one swift action in a round, if you use a more complex action (such as a Move-equivalent or Standard action) purely to take the additional swift action?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Last time we discussed this, I think the consensus was:

Move -> Swift would be totally broken, since the one limitation on Quickened spells would double.

Standard -> Swift would be fine.

Cheers, -- N

useridunavailable

First Post
Logically, it would make sense. Unfortunately, the rules say no. There are only 2 ways to do it AFAIK:

1) Multispell from ELH. You have to be at least 27th level, and it only works for spells.

2) Divine Impetus, the 7th-level Ruby Knight Vindicator ability from BoNS. You can spend a Turn Undead attempt to take an extra swift action in a round.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Nifft said:
Last time we discussed this, I think the consensus was:

Move -> Swift would be totally broken, since the one limitation on Quickened spells would double.

That was your opinion, but not the consensus that I recall.

Most folks thought it depended on the thing being done, but that move -> swift might be OK and might not.

Given a swift action is supposed to take less time than a move action, it makes no logical sense to me that you cannot do one with a move action. From a balance standpoint that gets into individual games and powers.

Personally, I would not allow two maneuvers in one round (other than the prestige class mentioned), but I would allow a spell and a maneuver in one round (like Inspirational Boost spell and a maneuver).

Pasus Nauran

First Post
Mistwell said:
That was your opinion, but not the consensus that I recall.

Most folks thought it depended on the thing being done, but that move -> swift might be OK and might not.

Given a swift action is supposed to take less time than a move action, it makes no logical sense to me that you cannot do one with a move action. From a balance standpoint that gets into individual games and powers.

Personally, I would not allow two maneuvers in one round (other than the prestige class mentioned), but I would allow a spell and a maneuver in one round (like Inspirational Boost spell and a maneuver).

What about a Maneuver and a Stance change? My current character just picked up Warblade as his second level, and so it's the maneuvers and stances specifically that have made me ask about using a Move or Standard action for a Swift.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Mistwell said:
Most folks thought it depended on the thing being done
I give an example as to why it's not categorically okay.

So yes, it depends on the thing being done.

What other Swift things can you think of, though? There really aren't many other Core things that are Swift.

Cheers, -- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Pasus Nauran said:
What about a Maneuver and a Stance change? My current character just picked up Warblade as his second level, and so it's the maneuvers and stances specifically that have made me ask about using a Move or Standard action for a Swift.
Those are balanced by being mutually exclusive.

Same thing with Counters -- you're supposed to be giving something up by using one. :)

Cheers, -- N

Nadaka

First Post
In SW SAGA, you can degrade either move or standard actions into swift actions. In fact some abilities require 2 or even 3 swift actions per round.

Scribbler

First Post
It makes sense, but there are obviously problems with it. Some (most?) things that use swift actions should only be allowed once per round.
So maybe say that you can exchange a move action for a swift action, but you may only use a certain type of swift action once per round?

Zurai

First Post
Nadaka said:
In SW SAGA, you can degrade either move or standard actions into swift actions. In fact some abilities require 2 or even 3 swift actions per round.

Yes, but it also doesn't have Quickened Disintegrates.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads