• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Mundane" Magic Items

shadowthorn

First Post
I'm sure this question has been asked before: Does anyone know of any lists of "mundane" magic items, such as:

Pouch of Endless Tobacco (produces fine tobacco 3/day)
Everflowing Goblet of Wine (similar effect, but with wine)
Serving Tray of the Gourmand (similar effect, but with food)
Portable Pavilion
Collapsible Sleeping Pallet

...or anything else that might come to mind. I'm looking for magic items that have little or no in-game use, but lots of flavor value.

If there are previous threads that deal with this topic (and I figure there must be), could someone with privileges please do a search and post the link(s)?

Thanks for any help y'all can offer.

Last edited:

You have a different view of mundane than I do. The serving tray is a Heroes' Feast spell and thus a very expensive item (as HF is a 5th level spell). Likewise, the decanter of endless water is technically a gate to the elemental plane of water. That's heavy magic. But a pouch of endless tobacco is even crazier as I'm sure there isn't an elemental plane of processed tobacco. So while these things are "useless" they are also very expensive in the existing magic system. Who would spend XPs making such items?

Now the folding cot isn't so bad but it could be useful for sleeping on rocky terrain without waking up fatigued.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Why would they be so fancy? Why base the serving tray off of Heroes Feast (6th level)? Why not Create Food & Water (3rd)? The Decanter isn't a gate - it's a Create Water cantrip/0lvl spell.

As for the OP - The Complete Book of Eldritch Might has a lot of these kinds of items. I'd love to see more of them, cause they can really add to the flavor of a setting...

Kurotowa

Legend
I don't know where the thread went, but when this came up a month ago I whipped up these three gems.

Brush of Cleanliness: This fine hair brush is enchanted with a use activated Prestidigitation cleaning effect. A few quick strokes will clean any surface or material of blood, sweat, and grime. A boon to any adventurer trying to make themselves presentable after a hard day in the dungeon. 500gp.

Lucky Coin: This gold coin can bring just a little luck to anyone's life. Consulting it with a quick flip before acting will sometimes make the difference between success and failure. Command activated Guidance 3/day. 540gp.

Tinkerer's Hammer: This hammer lets a skilled workman repair almost any damaged item. With a DC 15 Craft check the user can apply Mending to any item she can normally apply her Craft skill to. 810gp.

shadowthorn

First Post
I have to agree with Kid Charlemagne above; I see most of these items being priced at 1,000 gp or less. They would confer no in-game benefit (no bonuses of any kind), but would simply be kinda cool things to have. What dwarf wouldn't want a tankard that produced twenty ounces of his favorite stout or dwarven spirit three (or more!) times per day?

The sleeping pallet mentioned above would be like a comfortable cot that reduces to the size of a small cigar box on command.

The portable pavilion might be a tad more expensive, though.

Anyway, if there are no existing threads discussing this kind of stuff, please post your own ideas. Here's another one:

Serving Bell of Unseen Servant (When rung, summons an unseen servant for 1 hour, usable 3/day)

painandgreed

First Post
Lots of comfort items. Cloaks that keep the wearer warm and dry. For that matter, bedspreads that keep the sleeper warm would be in big demand in colder climates since there is poor heating in this period. Similarly spoons or plates that flavor food would be big. If people will spend enough money on spices and pepper in the real world to deflate tehir economy, then they'll surely spend the money on magic items. For many, such luxury items would in great demand. they'd be fancy because that's what they want. For people who can addord such items, food is not hard to come by, a constant supply of good food or tobbacco my be.

Cloak of Warmth
Blankets of Warmth
Boots of Comfort
Brooch of Perfume
Cube of Agreeable Temperament - A solid copper cube that keeps the general temperature within 20' constant. Which cube face is up determines the temperature, ranging from chilly to warm. Good in cold or warm climates for coolign or heating a room or two.
Wand of Clothes Cleaning
Brush of Cosmetics
Amulet of Proof Against Insects

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads