D&D 5E Murder Investigation and Trial

Even better, have the player write down where he hid the murder weapon. And then as a DM let the npc investigate the most logical places, and see if he actually finds it. Let the players roleplay their alibi, and have the investigator make investigation or sense motive checks when their story seems shaky.

Derren

Hero
I personally cant see a stone age society conducting a sophisticated investigation. The druid predicted that the halfling will bring trouble and now he is dead which fulfilled his prophecy. So obviously the halfling is involved and will be dealt with (killed, exiled, etc.) No trial neccessary. That no one likes him will only increase the size of the lynch mob. Same applies to the Half Orc, so kill/exile him to for good measure.

Satyrn

First Post
I think a social encounter would work here.

The relevant points I see here are:

1) The druid prophesied the PC's bad deeds. This points to the PC as culprit.
1a) The PC is an outsider, and thus ought not be trusted by such a small, lowtech community.
2) The halforc has been framed.
2a) The half orc is not liked, thus probably also not trusted.

So, because of that, I think both the PC and the halforc should be equally suspected (by the remaining elders/judges) and confronted as guilty. It then becomes up to them to convince the judges that the other guy is the guilty one.

dpkress2

First Post
I personally cant see a stone age society conducting a sophisticated investigation.

I agree with you Derren, And I have since come to the conclusion that there isn't really going to be a major investigation and trial. They are just going to decide.

I can't envision scenario where the halfling gets out of this. The player even admitted it was a pretty impulsive decision and could have planned it better. I'm taking that into consideration while I determine the outcome.

The main issue I am having is trying to create a narrative in which I have not already predetermined that the Halfling is guilty and will be exiled. (even though I have) It seems like a pretty dick move as a DM regardless of whether or not he deserves it. It would be nice to create some scenario in which he has a slim chance of coming out of this. Or at the very least creating the illusion that he does.

I think i could concoct a scenario in which the Halfling and the Half-orc would be banished together which would be pretty comical in its own right.

Satyrn

First Post
It would be nice to create some scenario in which he has a slim chance of coming out of this.
This is exactly why I suggested a social encounter where the halfling and half orc vie to convince tge elders/judges that the other guy did it.

It's a situation with clear stakes - and gives the halfling a chance to recover from his mistake or, failing, the player knows he truly had the chance to get out of it.

Also yeah, banishing both is totally a cool, funny option for a "partial success"

Derren

Hero
I think i could concoct a scenario in which the Halfling and the Half-orc would be banished together which would be pretty comical in its own right.
How about having one of the remaining elders trying to discredit the dead one so that his heir lose status or whatever which means arguing that this was not prophecy. The PCs can aid this elder to convince or blackmail the others.
But even when he succeeds he will have the PCs exiled for other reasons to get them out of the way and because he is a jerk.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I agree with you Derren, And I have since come to the conclusion that there isn't really going to be a major investigation and trial. They are just going to decide.

I can't envision scenario where the halfling gets out of this. The player even admitted it was a pretty impulsive decision and could have planned it better. I'm taking that into consideration while I determine the outcome.

The main issue I am having is trying to create a narrative in which I have not already predetermined that the Halfling is guilty and will be exiled. (even though I have) It seems like a pretty dick move as a DM regardless of whether or not he deserves it. It would be nice to create some scenario in which he has a slim chance of coming out of this. Or at the very least creating the illusion that he does.

There's one thing you haven't clarified which makes a big difference: the level of player (as opposed to character) knwoledge of what really happened.

If the Halfling's player kept the murder secret from the other players as well as characters, you've got loads of options including having the PCs tasked (as supposedly-neutral foreigners, and this tasking could come from the town or from the victim's druid circle) with investigating the murder themselves (!) and either exacting revenge or bringing the guilty party/parties in so someone else can determine their fate.

But if the players already know what happened then you're up against a player-knowledge-vs.-character-knowledge mess and my idea wouldn't work well at all.

Lan-"if you're going to have your character kill someone, do it in secret!"-efan

transtemporal

Explorer
This is a stone age village. They don't have due process, modern law enforcement, or a court. If a village elder suspects them of the murder, he gathers up whatever passes for militia, arrests them, has a kangaroo court for the people, then executes them. If he can't gather up a militia to arrest them, then he probably stays quiet. Why? Because adventurers are generally well-armed and bloody dangerous!

hastur_nz

First Post
Some info on the rest of the PCs would be useful, so far it just sounds like one player's side game which can be annoying for the other players. I second the motion for a simple Halfling vs Half Orc trial of sorts, it makes sense and allows for trial by combat as a resolution if your olayer can't convince people he is innocent. But the other PCs should have their chance to contribute in some way e.g. do they actually want to be associated with a lying murderer?

I would go with what ever provides the most fun and the most gameplay value for your players. A murder investigation might be fun to play out, and so would a trial by combat. Simply declaring the player guilty makes sense, but ultimately doesn't sound like it will provide a whole lot of fun.

Remove ads