• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MurderHobos

Have you heard the term MurderHobo, and does it offend you.

Roland55

First Post
Not only am I not offended, I use the term, and have even passed it along to my 19 year old cousin who is relatively new to RPGs.

Old man that I am, I can even roughly pinpoint when I first heard the term.

It was one of the early University D&D game days in 1977 ... I think at UCLA. I know it was in SoCal. At any event, I distinctly remember a DM (do not recall the name) admonishing us to "get your murdering hobos ready."

It generated a lot of laughs.

So -- no, not offended.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Just saw it a few seconds ago for the first time. It was being casually used in a another thread here (and I found this one googling around to make sure it meant what I thought it did). I think it's a spectacular description for some games/parties.

I was just asking the other day if anyone knew where the phrase came from. No one on the OotS forum seemed to have any idea.

And no, no one thought it was offensive.

/Isn't the word "hobo" deprecated nowadays?

Isn't the word "hobo" deprecated nowadays?
Yes. "Hobos" are real people with real problems. Even "homeless" is not accurate as they often have homes, just not houses.
"Hobos" conjures stereotypes of people in fingerless gloves wandering from place to place leaving marks and signs as they travel. It comes from hundred year old stereotypes, from times before EI or social services. Let alone those with mental illness. People who half choose a life of freedom on the road.

Now, while the stereotypes conjured by the pejorative "hobo" should not be applied to real people they actual work well for what we're describing.

Arlough

Explorer
I was just asking the other day if anyone knew where the phrase came from. No one on the OotS forum seemed to have any idea.

And no, no one thought it was offensive.

/Isn't the word "hobo" deprecated nowadays?

Generally, anymore, this word lands into 'contextless offender' category. It is filled with words that people have chosen to take offense at with no understanding of the word, and no consideration of context. To give another example, the word "nerd" when used to describe one's self is probably not pejorative, but there are those who will take offense to it anyway.
As for 'hobo', the origin story is below...

Yes. "Hobos" are real people with real problems. Even "homeless" is not accurate as they often have homes, just not houses.
"Hobos" conjures stereotypes of people in fingerless gloves wandering from place to place leaving marks and signs as they travel. It comes from hundred year old stereotypes, from times before EI or social services. Let alone those with mental illness. People who half choose a life of freedom on the road.

Now, while the stereotypes conjured by the pejorative "hobo" should not be applied to real people they actual work well for what we're describing.

I actually learned this one fairly recently (etymology being one of my many, mostly useless, hobbies.)
Hobo actually came from men with skill sets oriented towards agricultural labor who carried the tool of their trade with them as they went place to place, following the work. That tool, the common hoe. They were 'Hoe boys' (not a boy band) that could be found near most agricultural commodity rail yards looking for work, and they were some of this century's earliest migrant farm workers. Often, because of the nature of such work, they tended towards a nomadic lifestyle. And, probably as a further result of that lifestyle, they tended not to have any investment in the communities they traveled through and thus became labeled as the source of all sorts of local ills.
The phrase became more mainstream when the depression set in, and those wandering laborers surged in population.

So, as migrant workers carrying the tool of their trade who are blamed (not always unjustly) for the ills of the communities they visit, I find it a fitting analogy. :)

Gilbetron

First Post
I like the term when used by those that enjoy the playstyle, and despise the term when used that find themselves "above" the playstyle or use it as a blanket term for any form of D&D they don't enjoy. RPG.net uses the term primarily in the latter fashion, which is why I mostly hate the term.

Remove ads