Museum - too little, too late

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mark said:
It's only a selling point if you are concerned with the number of people it will draw.

It's only a selling point if you think people will get on the plane only to see this one museum. I don' t think that'll happen, no matter where you put it. People will go to the museum if they are in the town for other reasons, but the number who take a special trip for it will be small.

In addition, any gain you make due to lower plane ticket sales will likely be at least partially lost to other expenses incurred by being in that town. Las Vegas real estate isn't cheap, and will mean higher admission prices.

Also, isn't there another huge ST or SW exhibit in Vegas (some sort of interactive thingy) that would be a combined draw for something like this?

This raises another concern - being lost in the morass of neon. There might be another major sci-fi attraction in the town, but you don't know for sure, and you don't even know what the exhibit is? That doesn't bode well for an exhibit that won't have the backing of a major production studio.

In Vegas, the museum would have to compete for attendance with all the glitzy attractions. As we have seen with television shows lately, science fiction generally doesn't compete well against more mainstream stuff. You're suggesting putting a small fish in a pretty darned big pond.

Seattle, on the other hand, apparently has a pretty good "geek flowthrough level". In the course of normal business, geeks come in and out of that city on a daily basis, and there is less competition for their leisure time. Sounds like a rasonable place to me.

Fast Learner

First Post
And, again, the Science Fiction Experience is taking advantage of the already existent Experience Music Project. Which, by the way, is very cool and well worth a trip to Seattle if you're a true American music (rock, blues, etc.) fan.

The EMP is really huge and definitely doesn't use all of its space now, so co-locating it makes lots of sense.

Besides, it will be in a very sci-fi looking building at the base of the Space Needle, a very cool location in my book.

EDITED TO ADD:

Take a look at its list of advisors. Looks like it's in great hands to me, including Forrey's:

Greg Bear, Chair

Forrest Ackerman
Astrid Anderson Bear
Betty Ballantine
Ray Bradbury
David Brin
Charles Brown
Octavia Butler
Orson Scott Card
Arthur C. Clarke
Freeman Dyson
James Gunn
Ray Harryhausen
David Hartwell
Tim Kirk
Lawrence Krauss
Syne Mitchell
Dennis Muren
Kim Stanley Robinson
Stanley Schmidt
Donna Shirley
Neal Stephenson
Phil Tippet
Bjo Trimble
Michael Whelan
Jane Yolen

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Well, sounds like it's a done deal anyway, and it also sounds very cool indeed! I'll have to make plans to get out there someday! :)

jester47

First Post
Also, a little tidbit that I have learned from working at barnes and Noble...

The big genre fiction section in the Pacific Northwest is Science/Fantasy Fiction. Everywhere else in the nation it is outsold by Mystery Fiction, Romance, and regular Fiction. So just looking at reading habits, the NW is a great place to put a serious Science fiction Museum.

Aaron.

Remove ads