• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Musical imagery for a bardic dream

Zog

First Post
Needless to say, if someone from my Magian Empire campaign sees this thread - go away! All will become clear by Sunday! :D

All right, so I've got this cool setup in my game, where the party has found a 'place of power' and will be deciding what to do with it - ie, which diety to consecrate it too.

At the moment, they are discussing two options - a nature diety and a death diety (one party member is a necromancer). I want to introduce them to a third option via dreams.

This is a place where an elemental form of Magic seems to rise up like a spring. I'm going to use spring and water channeling imagery for the necromancer's dream - showing him that the spring has been tapped, and the 'water' funneled towards a diety. The recent events were fighting over the funnel.

I want to indicate to the bard that it is possible, even potentially useful, to remove the funnel, return it to a spring of Magic which enriches the world, rather than a diety - even a Nature/Gaia goddess.

The bard's player has some music and voice training - she understands music concepts and phrasology far better than I. So, what I am asking is for some suggestions on how to phrase the bard's dream. The babbling cacophany of the spheres filtered and ?somethinged? to the resonating harmonies of nature, changed to the deep resonance of death.

Something along those lines. But I've reached the limit of my musical vocabulary. :(

alsih2o

First Post
folks, second page with no replies? how are we supposed to maintain a reputation of know-it-alls unless someone tackles this guys question, gotta be a musician on these boards....

Kareyev

First Post
It's a forced in areas, but this was such an interesting challenge I had to give it a try. Hopefully something in this is useful. If you have ever seen the 1984 movie Amadeus there is a great scene toward the end of him write a song as he dies upon his bed where they break the music into parts. For some reason that's the music I was thinking of as writing this.

As the Bard drifts into sleep she see an cloudy image begin to form to her left. The shape takes the form of a sheet music floating before a blue sky. As she reads the music written in the trebble clef she hears the music of harmony and nature fill her soul. The sounds of birds chirping upon the wind as the high pitched music give her a sense of balance and growth.

She then hear a deep rumble to her right. As she turns another melody is written on a black background with the distributing grins of skulls marking the notes. This song is a dark, deep melody written in the bass clef. At first the deep, dark music is disturbing roar of a fate which cannot be escaped, but as she listens the complex melody reveals the emotion of meeting a friend that has been waiting to give her comfort and rest.

The two melodies battle each other for her attention; each seeming to offer something unique to the her. Individually they are songs of great beauty, yet something is missing. Then, from deep within her, the Bard hears a third melody. Bursting from her minds eye she looks upon a new song written in the alto clef upon scenes of the places she has visited, the people she has met. She see farmers cutting their wheat, babies being born, marriage ceremonies being preformed. This new melody weaves between the other two, bringing them together and creating an symphony of epic proportions.

As the song reaches it's crescendo's to a climax she see the land around her as if she has been granted the ability to fly. As she climbs higher the world below her grows smaller until she sees it as a small delicate pearl drifting in a void. Something to be revered. Cherished. As the song ends the scene fade to black and she slowly awakes to a new morning.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I can't think of anything special for the dream, but I think the dream should come when the Bard is washing herself. Splashing water on her face, then suddenly she receives a vision.

Scarogoth

What do other people have?
Missed it... sorry.

I was settling all down to write a little dream for you, when I remembered the comment about Sunday, and I realized it would come too late. A shame, because I'd liked to have had a go, as Music is my main academic area... ho hum. Sorry to have let the boards down... :(

Dunx.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads