• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Musical instrument tool proficiency and performance skill proficiency

intently

Explorer
If this is a major story beat in the campaign, however, you might consider running it as a 4e style skill challenge. Set a DC based on how difficult, in general terms, you think it will be to influence the royal court (see the Conversation Reaction table, DMG pg. 245) and ask the party members what skills they want to use to earn the favor of the throne. Obviously the bard can use dex (lute) and cha (perform,) but the cleric can also use wis (religion) to put the party's requests in a context favorable to the kingdom's divine patron, the wizard can use history or investigation to point out the ways in which favoring the party is good for the kingdom generally or the king and courtiers specifically, and one or more insight checks can provide advantage to the other skill checks. You can determine the end result based on the number of successful skill checks the party gets before 3 failures: less than 3 gets them kicked out; 3 - 5 get them begrudging acceptance, or perhaps support from the king with opposition from several courtiers; 6 - 8 gets them what they asked for with some measure of enthusiasm; 9+ gets them a royal charter and free access to the castle armory.

Skill challenge is a great idea!

A musician sitting on a stool on stage playing and singing in front of an audience is making an instrument check.

A musician on stage for a live concert is putting on a show and requires a performance check.

Examples: Look at any of the Tailor Swift videos where she is sitting down performing for a small audience vs the videos for Red or Fearless where it shows her in concert putting on a show while singing and playing.

Kalshane

First Post
A good example of someone making both a Charisma (Performance) and Musical Instrument proficiency check at the same time would be the scene where Kvothe earns his pipes in The Name of the Wind.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I don't know The Name of the Wind, but where else in 5e does anyone have to make to coordinated skill ability to accomplish something? It just seems so extraordinary, for something that is so infrequent and low-stakes. Surely no DM would refuse a player who had proficiency in one from using that as the roll?

Kalshane

First Post
I don't know The Name of the Wind, but where else in 5e does anyone have to make to coordinated skill ability to accomplish something? It just seems so extraordinary, for something that is so infrequent and low-stakes. Surely no DM would refuse a player who had proficiency in one from using that as the roll?

I was talking about using one to "aid" the other. Someone with a good Perform skill using it to help "sell" their skill with an instrument, or using backing music (via an instrument) to improve the effect of their singing.

Just ask the Player what they think is more important. That theylook awesome (Cha) Performance Check, or that they sound awesome (Dex) Lute Check.

Then, if they have proficiency in it, they add it. If they have proficiency in both let them 'FORK' the other in, and give them advantage.

I think it makes sense that an Entertainer that's proficient in both Performing and the instrument is going to have an advantage over Entertainers that are only proficient in one of them.

This is a bit late coming to the conversation, but this was a heated topic for a campaign I was playing in a couple years ago. I love bards in this edition. And I don't have alot to add to what's already been said, but one point that I don't think was mentioned was regarding Jack-Of-All-Trades the fact that even if bards aren't trained in a particular instrument you still get 1/2 proficiency to your checks anyway, making it seem that bards really can pick up any instrument and play it with some skill.

Remove ads