D&D 5E Must-have bard spells?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Attacks are not checks, so Hex won't do this.

That said, there are a handful of things that involve making an athletics check (grapple for example as I recall) and there Hex is brutal with it's "1st level have disadvantage, no save". Also could be fun if you've got an assassin on your team who hides a lot and you give a disadvantage on Wis to the target. Good luck with that.

Halfling warlock hiding behind a human is going to rock it out there.

That makes sense. OK, so Hex is more of a non-combat thing, rather than a combat thing. The witch hexes you with a curse, so now a lot of stuff you normally do fine, you do poorly. Makes sense.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It's just been pointed out to me that the second level Bard spell "Heat Metal" is a very effective spell, particular versus a creature in metal armor.

sithramir

First Post
Here is my list. Feel free to comment.
Some highlights of spells to snipe are:
6th: 3rd level Aura of Vitality(70 HP total for out of combat healing), Fireball (obvious), Haste(obvious)
10th: Wall of Force(no save impassable wall), Black tentacles of forced intrusion(BC + damage)
14th: Magic jar (awesome!), Reverse gravity (BC, falling results in prone with no save + 10d6 damage in open space no save, 20d6 if ceiling is 100' high)
18th: Wish (duh), true polymorph (I'm not being creative, I know), Gate (Very versatile spell)

I'm confused how your spreadsheet has you gaining 2 spells when you get a new spell level. It only should be one spell. You gain 2 slots but only one spell. Somewhat sucky but seems pretty drastic to your list.

borg286

Explorer
I'm confused how your spreadsheet has you gaining 2 spells when you get a new spell level. It only should be one spell. You gain 2 slots but only one spell. Somewhat sucky but seems pretty drastic to your list.
At each level you can swap one known spell for another you qualify for.

WarHawke

First Post
That makes sense. OK, so Hex is more of a non-combat thing, rather than a combat thing. The witch hexes you with a curse, so now a lot of stuff you normally do fine, you do poorly. Makes sense.

Initiative is a check.

Grappling is a check.

I am sure there are other checks that could be bungled up.

Spookymonster

First Post
Not sure I understand why Faerie Fire is such a hit:
- The area of effect isn't movable, so all you have to do is move out of the cube to 'go dim' again
- The effect applies to both friends and enemies, so targeting can be tricky

I'm also surprised no one's mentioned Dissonant Whispers. The damage alone is pretty solid, and, if used properly, the forced reaction action should trigger multiple opportunity attacks.

Also, no one chose Sleep?

Runny

First Post
Not sure I understand why Faerie Fire is such a hit:
- The area of effect isn't movable, so all you have to do is move out of the cube to 'go dim' again
- The effect applies to both friends and enemies, so targeting can be tricky

I'm also surprised no one's mentioned Dissonant Whispers. The damage alone is pretty solid, and, if used properly, the forced reaction action should trigger multiple opportunity attacks.

Also, no one chose Sleep?

Definitely misreading faerie fire. The effect is persistent. The area only matters for the initial targeting. It is a great spell. Targeting can be tricky, but you are helped greatly by it being a cube as opposed to a sphere. You can target it on just the other side of your Melee allies. Especially useful for precoordinating a strategy of you make a defensive line and I cast behind it.

Remove ads