• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Must Own DVD Movies That Define The Fantasy & SciFi Genres?

Alien & Aliens: These two films are probably the best example of how to take the same theme and deal with them in entirely different genres. Ridley Scott made a horror/haunted house movie, while Cameron made an action flick. Both films have basically the same premise.

Spirited Away: This movie is amazing for being remarkably accessible, even to non-genre fans. It is also notable for isolating fears to which both children and adults can relate. While Mononoke is good, I think this is the better film.

Lord of the Rings and Star Wars trilogies are no-brainers.

Metropolis: If you're looking for landmark pictures, this vision of a dystopian future by Fritz Lang is a must-have. It is in black-and-white and is silent, so don't expect sensational effects.

Akira: This anime film is for many people THE film that introduced Japanese animation to a western audience. It showed what the Japanese were doing when American cartoons (outside of Disney) was largely cheap and targeted at children.

Speaking of Disney, The Little Mermaid was the film that got Disney animation back on track, so it is something of a landmark. Aladdin was more entertaining, and one of the first non-European themed films done by the studio. Fantasia is a classic of artistic vision, if lacking in plot. Any of those three would be worthwhile.

Pixar has done so much good work it is hard to single out any one film. Wall-E is probably has the best combination of artistic vision and emotional impact. The Incredibles is one of the best superhero movies out there.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are both better than the old 80s series of Batman films, and actually are probably the best superhero series in total made to date.

It is worth getting something by Harryhausen, like Clash of the Titans, since stop-motion was the only way to get HUGE special effects before CGI.

Speaking of CGI, Jurrasic Park is an enjoyable flick that was the very first film to demonstrate what CGI would be capable of doing. Nowadays, folks don't pay it much attention, but at the time it was visually stunning.

The Day the Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet are both absolute must-have films from the Red Scare period of American film-making.

Blade Runner is a classic -- I'm more of a fan of the Director's Cut version. It is a far superior film to much that has come out in recent years.

The original King Kong is also a good film -- it is subtler than any of the later films, including Peter Jackson's effort.

The original 1954 Godzilla was a parable about the nuclear threat from the only country ever to directly suffer from an atom bomb. It is hard to argue that it isn't a classic, despite the rubber suit.

1953's version of the War of the Worlds is also an enjoyable flick, and is arguably one of the best film adaptations of any of H.G. Well's works. I like it better than the more recent version with Tom Cruise.

The Princess Bride is hands-down one of the funniest, quotable movies you will find. I consider it a must-have.

Horror flicks aren't really my thing, but there are several films that suggest themselves from the genre. At a minimum, Night of the Living Dead and The Birds can be considered sci-fi/fantasy.

A lot of people will disagree, but I really liked The Fifth Element. Ignore the absurdities of the plot and just absorb the stylistic vision of the film. If you can revel in the camp, then it is a great movie.

In contrast, I've always thought of 2001 as somewhat slow -- Solaris is a more mind-bending flick if you have the patience to sit through it. Both are worthwhile films to own, though.

Well, I guess that's more than 10...sorry.

Jeremy757

First Post
Well if you are into time travel and alternate realities and how they affect people and their memories then you need to add Slaughter House 5, Donnie Darko (the director's cut), and 13 Monkeys, and maybe Butterfly Effect.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Since you are going for Quality I will leave out many, many films. These are the ones that stand out artisticly way above the rest. If you want the best special effects instead that is an entirely different list.

Sci-Fi:
1. Star Wars: Original Trilogy (Preferably the DVD version taken from the Laser Discs where Han shoots first)
2. 2001: A Space Oddyssy
3. Blade Runner: Director's Cut
4. Alien & Aliens
5. A Clockwork Orange
6. The Day the Earth Stood Still
7. The Terminator
8. Forbidden Planet
9. Akira
10. Metropolis

Fantasy:
1. Lord of the Rings trilogy
2. Wizard of Oz
3. The Princess Bride
4. Conan the Barbarian
5. Princess Mononoke
6. Beuaty and the Beast (Disney)
7. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
8. Stardust
9. Fantasia
10. Highlander

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I think pretty much everyone has listed the same movies that I would with one exception. I really liked the David Lynch's Dune. Yes... I know it wasn't as good as the book, truth be told most movies aren't. I thought Dune had a look and feel all it's own.

Edit: Oh yeah... I forgot to add The Black Hole. I think Tron deserves a mention for the movie that really launched CGI into the public eye.

I liked Minority Report and Paycheck for the same reason. Probably helped that they were written by the same author (who also wrote Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep aka Blade Runner). I liked Minority Report because ultimately it was a story about fighting against fate. Tom Cruise knew at the beginning that he would murder someone in the future but couldn't for the life of him figure out why until the event came to pass. Kinda like a reverse mystery. The same goes for Paycheck.

To the OP... sorry but this discussion has turned to a list of movies we like and why we like them. My pick for the two defining movies would be Star Wars EP IV because it redifined the genre and Tron for the first real introduction to CGI. The book I am Legend defined the survival horror genre but I'd have to go with the Vincent Price in The Last Man on Earth for that one (though I think The Omega Man is more watchable) rather than the Will Smith movie.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Movies...

Gattaca
Serenity

And let me second (third, or whatever) Clash of the Titans. Awesome movie!

For TV series...

Well, Star Trek, obviously
Babylon 5
Firefly
Battlestar Galactica

Not sure, if there even is anything fantasy worth mentioning... ;)

Bye
Thanee

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Look at the OP's question

I'm looking to expand my DVD collection and add quality movies and tv series that are turning-point or definitive towards defining the fantasy and scifi genres.

I think we keep listing our favorite movies but are they actually turning point or definitive in the fantasy/scifi genre?

For Example: While some comics are more popular and sell more issues I would say that DC's launch of the Vertigo line represented a turning point. Mainstream comics suddenly found that it was "okay" to present stories with adult themes.

It is like the difference between the Oscars and the People's Choice awards.

Has anyone mentioned Close Encounters of the Third Kind yet? Absolutely incredible movie!

For TV Series I'd have to go with Starblazers or Robotech for introducing to many people the idea that an animated series can actually have a multi-season storyline with all of the plot and drama that you'd expect from a live action series. Before those two pretty much all animated shows were just a bunch of stand alone episodes that had nothing to do with each other. I remember running home from school and skipping my homework because the previous episode of Starblazers had left off with a cliffhanger and I couldn't wait to see what happened next. Good times!

Last edited:

Remove ads