• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Must you have and use every book for D&D

You, personally: Must you have and use every book WotC publishes for D&D?

• I *must* have and use every book WotC publishes for D&D

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I *must* have and use most every book WotC publishes for D&D

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • I *must* have and use many books WotC publishes for D&D

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I only get what I think fits my game

Votes: 51 31.1%
  • I only get what I think will improve my game

Votes: 67 40.9%
  • I don't bother with anything beyond the 3 core books

Votes: 12 7.3%

This is the closest option to being able to fit me...

"I only get what I think will improve my game"

That said, I thought a lot of 3.5 material would improve my game. I have most every non-setting specific book of WotC 3.5 up through mid 2005 and there are still others that I'd like to have.

2E didnt do much for my game. I didnt' play for most of the 2E timeframe. The 3E-3.5 era got me back into the game

I hope 4E is good enough that I want to buy it all. But, that doesn't mean that I have to.

Psion

Adventurer
You've joined the "have" and "use".

I'll get many, anything I consider to have potential.

From there, I'll use whatever fits the particular game I am running or playing at the time.. Using everything I have would be unmanageable, and some stuff I have doesn't pass muster after I read them (Magic of Incarnum, Book of Nine Swords.)

rgard

Adventurer
As a DM I will almost always allow anything the players want to play. We've had classes, races and PRCs from WotC, MGP, Malhavoc, SSS, AEG, Avalanche, FFG, FFE, Green Ronin and others...have to love the Fiendblade...my thanks to the vampiric mouse for that one!

So yes, I guess you can say we have rules bloat, but that isn't my problem. The players are responsible for keeping the player characters straight. Occasionally I'll have to review a PC with the player if something seems out of whack, but that is rarely the case in our group.

I don't personally own all the sourcebook the players use, though I do review anything I don't own prior to play. I can't remember the last time I disallowed a PC concept.

I do own most of what WotC has put out. They could release the next 3.5 Complete [insert arcane-like noun] one a week until 4e and I'd probably buy them all. I'm a junkie for arcane spell casters and the various theurge combos.

Thanks,
Rich

Scribble

First Post
I buy stuff that catches my eye... I don't buy everything and anything... I have friends that do hough. Shrug. It's a collectdiction for them... I used to have it, but once my money started being needed in other areas, I was cured! :p

Now I buy stuff that seems like it will add something new and exciting to my game.

Bo9S and Magic of Incarnum being examples... (Psion and I must be polar opposites... ;) )

Keldryn

Adventurer
Hell no.

I only buy products that I like or want, and I don't feel compelled to use something just because I bought it. I quit collecting "one of each" Star Wars figure about 10 years ago (just buying the ones I want, even if it ends up being most of them), and I'm totally clean of the "gotta collect 'em all" mindset. In the early 2nd Edition days I was buying almost everything that TSR put out for D&D and AD&D, but I stopped doing that by the mid-90s.

Yalius

First Post
None of the above. Over the years I've bought hundreds of books I'll probably never use, but I picked them up for a variety of reasons. Curiosity, an interesting concept, recommendations from others, a cool-looking cover, or a sticker marked "70% off". So I end up with a pointlessly large collection, that I use precious little of. But I'd much rather have something I don't need than want something I don't have.

joela

First Post
Other II

Crothian said:
Other

I only get the books I like. I don't care if they fit into my game or improve it. Just the topics that interest me.

Same. I love fluff if not more so than rules.

Graybeard

Explorer
I usually look at the books before I buy them. Then I only buy the ones I think will fit the games I am playing or running. The book must have at least 50% content that I like before I will spend my money on it. However, I did just pick up a few books on Amazon that I was mildly considering buying before because the price was too good to pass up. Four books with S/H for less than $18.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Nyarlathotep said:
Must have almost all books, but use very few.

I'm a bit of a completist. so I tend to buy nearly everything that is put out by WotC (sourcebook-wise). I tend to use not very much of it though.

What Nyarlathotep said, except without the "nearly" :heh:

Also, since some of my players have discovered over the last couple of years that buying books other than the PHB gives them access to wider variety of spells and feats, I've gotten a lot more use out of many of the books in my collection. If the PCs are using the Spell Compendium then NPCs darn well should too!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads