[Mutant Future] Raiders of the Mind Lord's Tomb

Electric Wizard

First Post
The Land of Vines is awful during hurricanes. The creepers that choke the landscape swell until they're as wide as oil drums. The wind turns loose vines into whips. A careless step could mean a plunge into the soggy morass beneath the vegetation. If you fall and manage not to drown in the muck, your trapped body will be picked apart by lobstrosities and carnivorous flies when the clouds break. You'd be better off huddled in a cave in Grith's Wall or staking out a chamber in one of the Dead Towers. But here you are.

The three of you, an albino genius, an enormous raccoon and a flying plant woman, managed to crawl into a vine cave. Vine caves are anomalous features - pockets between the growth large enough to provide decent shelter. Rain is trickling in and the vines creak and groan, but it's enough.

You all have decided to honor the Storm Truce, meaning that you agree to share the shelter without fighting and leave peacefully when the storm breaks. You set up camp in the cave's driest corner and rest. Hours pass. The water slows to a drip, and the vines seem to be resettling. But suddenly a metallic shriek in the air above, like the whistle of a great bullet, alarms you. A nearby explosion convulses the cave, throwing you to the ground. Whatever happened, the cave is now torn open to the rain and wind. Another wall of the cave has also collapsed, revealing what seems to be a passage leading deeper into the tangle of vines.

What do you do?

Vertexx69

First Post
Valla has been sitting demurely, carefully keeping the hood of her cloak up, and her golden mask securely in place. She had been studying the giant, intelligent raccoon intently for several hours, from across the gloriously damp little vine cave. Then she is knocked off her butt sideways by the explosion. In a sinewy voice of breathy whispers and soft tones she addresses her two storm-truce companions when she sees the opening further down into the vines. "Well wasn't that just rude? You may want to head deeper into cover, my fleshy chums. I'm going to see what has the nerve to fire on me for a moment. I'll catch up in just a bit darlins." Grabbing up her clear riot shield, Her diaphanous wings stretch silently out behind her as she regains her feet. Then as she turns her masked face toward the sky, Valla steps sideways into invisibility, like she did nothing more than move behind a tree.

A puff of air and a sound like an owl taking flight, hits the earthbound pair at the same time. Taking invisibly to the air she follows the track of whatever tore through the canopy out into the open sky for a quick peek at their would-be destroyer.

Electric Wizard

First Post
You take to the air. The worst of the hurricane is over, but steady gusts and sheets of rain still pummel the landscape, and make your ascent a cautious one. Visibility is poor, but you see plumes of black smoke pouring from a vegetation-choked hill maybe 300 yards distant. The vine cave's roof was likely torn off by impact tremors, rather than by any direct hit. There is no visible debris nearby.

One, then two, blood-chilling shrieks issue from the new passage. Pickles' nose detects the aroma of an animal den.

HandofMystra

First Post
The big raccoon snuffs the air. "It look like there is space in there for me." He walks into the new tunnel and stops. If no one immediately follows, he shakes his huge bulk to help dry his fur. IF someone follows he waits to do this.

Electric Wizard

First Post
The tunnel spirals down into darkness. As you shake the rain from your hide, you hear some agitated grunts below you, then the shuffle of claws. You believe at least two large creatures are entering the other end of the passage.

Vertexx69

First Post
Valla turns in midair to see if she can make out any con trail to determine which direction the attack came from. But in the rain, she doubts she'll find anything and teleports back down to the others.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The tunnel spirals down into darkness. As you shake the rain from your hide, you hear some agitated grunts below you, then the shuffle of claws. You believe at least two large creatures are entering the other end of the passage.

"Whoa, now," says the albino, "let's not wander off into the unknown too quickly and alone. Might not end well. Not at all." The mutant human creeps forward a bit to peer down into the darkness. "I'm called Yella, by the way. Jumping beans! It's dark down there."

Electric Wizard

First Post
Yella and Pickles hear the paws scurry faster. Two pairs of beady yellow eyes flash in the gloom. A bestial shriek echoes through the vine cavern.

OOC: Everyone roll individual initiative. d6, no adjustments unless you have a specific mutation that grants you one. Lowest goes first!

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
"Shades of Iggy!" Yella swears. He seems almost rooted to the spot.

[sblock=OOC Stuff]
I just realized Yella has no equipment. Also, is there a character-posting thread?

Initiative: 1d6=6
[/sblock]

Vertexx69

First Post
Valla fills the void in the roof of the ruined vine cave, just as the yellow eyes appear in the lower hole. But the light from above passes around her without any fanfare as she is still invisible. Initiative=6 "That theya looks like it could taste mighty good, yessa!"

Remove ads