• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mutant & Masterminds in Chicago!

Cochise101

First Post
That's right, I'm forming a D20 superhero game in Chicago. We need two or three mature players for regular Sunday (perhaps occasionally Saturday) afternoon games. I live in Bridgeport, fairly close to the White Sox stadium on the Southside of Chicago. The game is mostly inspired by Marvel books, so I guess that's the general flavor you can expect. Here's a quick background. (Please post here for further information.)

The game will be set in Chicago; the year is 2015. Two years ago, the United States and several other countries had recently been attacked by a trans-dimensional alien battalion. The world’s super-powered humans (mostly heroes but some rather villainous types as well) came to the defense against these mysterious creatures. The “war” was very quick. It only lasted about a week, but the results of it were far reaching. Earth lost.

As a result of the nameless alien portal technology, several major cities essentially disappeared, including New York and Tokyo. Millions upon millions of people vanished along with the cities. After taking the cities, the aliens stopped their attack and left as quickly and mysteriously as they arrived. A newly formed Chicago super-group, who called themselves Vortex, were the only ones able to stop the portal from consuming their city. How they did it remains mystery.

Two years later, the government lost a lot its political and military power as a result of the alien invasion. To fill the vacuum, groups of super-powered humans, some villainous, some rather heroic have risen. Chicago has now replaced New York as a center of super-powered human population. The city is still essentially under martial law; controlled by the mighty Vortex and their allies, who claim to have the best intentions. Never again, they say, will their city be that close to annihilation. The aliens may be gone, but they assuredly left behind sympathizers. Under specific scrutiny is anyone super-powered and not showing proper allegiance to Vortex. Publicly, most of the xeno-biological research is done through Vortex scientists in Chicago to learn what happened to the sixteen missing cities, and how to best counter any new invasions.

While super-villains in Chicago are almost unheard of, mid-western cities such as St. Louis and Cleveland are almost entirely controlled by mobsters and warlords of super-human power. However, super-powered, or meta-humans, are not as common as humans. They are still very rare. About one in several thousand people can claim to have some sort of super power. Of those, only one in one hundred have powers that would equal or exceed those that the players will have.

The Players: Into the mix will be the PCs, who will of course have a host of enemies on both sides of the law. They will begin as outsiders to the super-hero community of Chicago, and will (I hope) eventually form their own group. I’ll help players make a little background for their character. One thing I want you to keep in mind is whether or not you’re from Chicago, if you fought against the nameless alien invasion two years ago, if you were formerly a villain, etc.

Other than that, pretty much anything goes as far as character background is concerned. Those who are just born with powers (ala Marvel mutants) do exist, but are extremely rare and not a bona fide minority in this world. Mystical heroes like Dr. Strange or Moonknight are also very rare. The most common type of superhero are those created via scientific experimentation and governmental programs. But like I said, anything goes.

Remove ads