• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mutant/Superhero Gaming

malien

First Post
I know there are lots of titles available to simulate mutant/superhero gaming... and my group is really interested in a campaign playing such! So, what's the concensus out there? Have you played such a game? What system(s) have you used? What did you think of them?

I'm looking for d20 as well as non-d20 possibilities, though I think the d20 ones will be in heavy favour, since there is less to learn.

Thanks in advance! You guys do all rock.

Kirin'Tor

First Post
I'm a big fan of Champions. I've only played 4th Edition (rated as the best of all Champions editions.) It's pretty numbers heavy: be ready to use formulas to figure out how many d6's you get for the 50 (of 250) character-points you put into your blast...

Razz0putin

Explorer
I started with marvel back in various versions to simple then went back to D&D. then I went off to champions real good but to complicated then back to d&d. then tried dc was fairly impressed kinda like champions but not requiring major calculations to work then back to d&d. just started Mutants and Masterminds I'm impressed it seems to have the customizing of champions and the simplicity of marvel. speaking of simplicity it actually plays easier than 3.x d&d.

C. Baize

First Post
Really depends on what you're looking for...
Mutants and Masterminds is ..... sort of D20 system....
4 Color to Fantasy is D20 Fantasy.
4 Color to Modern is D20 Modern (though, honestly, I'm not that impressed)
Blood and Vigilance is D20 Modern (definitely my choice for D20 Supers)
Or, there's E-Bay and Marvel Super Heroes. :)
Long live FASERIP!

GlassJaw

Hero
Mutants & Masterminds, hands down. It's a great system. Very fast and simple but highly customizable at the same time. It really captures the superhero feel.

The Grackle

First Post
I'd recommend Mutants and Masterminds as well. It's D20 and OGL but it's so different from D&D that it might as well be a seperate game. It doesn't have much compatibility w/other sources. It's really easy to learn though, if that's your only concern about non-D20 products.

I've played Marvel, Champions, Gurps Supers, and Heroes Unlimited, and M&M is by far my favorite system. :)

DJ_Colossus

Explorer
Another vote for Mutants and Masterminds.

Our group has been playing it for close to two years now and there are some members who are even converting their D&D games to the MnM system.

MnM uses a HERO-lite power system and adds on the basic d20 mechanics. Everything is point-based. No classes, no hit points. It models supers action quite well.

There are some odd bits to it, but nothing house rules or DM fiat can fix.

takyris

First Post
I think it depends on what type of game you want. For me, it would be Blood & Vigilance if I wanted a grim & gritty superhero game, something that was close to a normal d20 Modern game with a few special abilities... and Mutants & Masterminds if I wanted something more streamlined and splashy, with a generally higher power level. Both are great systems.

Remove ads