• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MUTANT: Year Zero – The Roleplaying Game

Ningauble

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for MUTANT: Year Zero – The Roleplaying Game

Mutant Year Zero is currently my favorite RPG that I have read but not played. The art and production values are top notch. The post-apocalyptic flavor hits a sweet spot for me. Nothing too zany like Gamma World, but not quite as disturbing as say Apocalypse World. I'd say this is like Mad Max + X-Men. The world is dangerous - characters fight for grub (food), water, and bullets. The Rot (like radiation) is also deadly. The game is designed almost like a hex crawl with characters exploring the Zone, the outside world, sector by sector. They can also improve the Ark, their small community of mutants, through Projects like growing crops or improving defenses. Only downsides that I see are it could use a few more mutations (though the current ones are pretty sweet and can be powerful), and I was not entirely sure how certain classes such as the Boss and Dog Handler would work in actual play. But I expect the game could be expanded with a few supplements. Overall though, the game looks easy to play. The mechanics are d6 based / dice pool - simple but elegant. I imagine combat will be fairly quick (at least in comparison to Pathfinder or 4E). I really like that food and water mean a lot, which will be a nice break from standard D&D. Only other downside is that the hardcover book was a little spendy at around $50.00 at my local game store. However, I highly recommend this game. I hope to play it soon, but even still it was an awesome read if you are a fan of the genre.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads